Bigzeph

Re: Eddie's 1100 Rebuild

Post by Bigzeph »

Go on Eddie.
You know you want to polish those master cylinders ? :D
Corey

Post by Corey »

You could switch to a remote reservoir Master Cylinder. Staying Kawasaki, and not going Brembo, I used one from a ZX636, then used the same year clutch perch assembly. This allows me to use Pazzo 6 Position Adjustable Standard, or Shorty Levers, as MY GPz didn't come with adjustable levers. I see your brake lever has an adjusting knob.
1985 GPz550 Daily Commuter (loads of fun stuff)
2003 SV650s Racebike #44
Swampy

Post by Swampy »

Bigzeph wrote:Go on Eddie.
Don't give him ideas Bigzeph, eds bike might end up being as polished as yours :o

Seriously, its coming on well Eddie, you must be really pleased with it !
Swamps :)
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

Go on Eddie.
You've got to be joking! I don't think I'm ever going to get the polishing bug, just the thought of doing the swing arm and header pipes is filling me with dread :cry: Having said that the bike is looking the shiniest it ever has!! 8-)
Corey » Yesterday, 12:46

You could switch to a remote reservoir Master Cylinder
That's a good idea but I've already bought the master cylinder repair kits so am going to stick with the originals.

I rebuilt the clutch m/cylinder today and after cleaning and greasing all the lever pivot points it feels very good now.
DSC_1313.JPG
Next up is to make up some new brake lines, as you can see from the pic they are a simple compression fitting the most tricky part being cutting the steel braiding. I wrapped some tape around it and used a dremmel with a thin cutting disc on it which gave a pretty good result, but to be fair a good metal saw will do just as well. It was also a bit fiddly splaying out the braid far enough on the cut end to slip the brass feral over the plastic inner of the pipe, then insert the banjo ring part and thread it all together.
DSC_1311.JPG

Calipers next!
92 Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
78 Kawasaki Z1000a2
10 KTM 990 SMT
76 Yamaha XT500 supermoto
80 Honda Z50R Monkey
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

Not much progress since the last post but did manage to finish the front brake master cylinder today. I wish Kawasaki would supply the master cylinder repair kit pre assembled, as fitting the tight rubber seals onto the plunger is quite tricky through fear of damaging them, I used a bit of red rubber grease to help them on which helped
DSC_1321.jpg
DSC_1322.jpg

Cheers eddie
92 Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
78 Kawasaki Z1000a2
10 KTM 990 SMT
80 Honda Z50R Monkey
Swampy

Post by Swampy »

Eddie wrote: I wish Kawasaki would supply the master cylinder repair kit pre assembled, as fitting the tight rubber seals onto the plunger is quite tricky through fear of damaging them
I would of been tempted with sticking them in hot water for a while, or is that a No No ?

Keep at it eddie :)
Swamps :)
Corey

Post by Corey »

I have only ever used clean brake fluid on my master cylinder and caliper rebuilds. My thought here is that assembly grease could contaminate the brake fluid used, even if you bleed the system, as it might not all come out, or will over time. Just a thought.
1985 GPz550 Daily Commuter (loads of fun stuff)
2003 SV650s Racebike #44
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Red rubber grease is fine to use for assembling hydraulic brake components. That's specifically what its designed for, and has been used for that purpose since 'Adam was a boy'.

BUT ..... there are now WAY better rubber safe lubricants available. The little white packet of grease that comes with every Brembo overhaul kit is silicone grease. No different to the stuff in a general brand rubber friendly silicone grease.

Question regarding using brake fluid to assembly motorcycle calipers. Is brake fluid water soluble? If it is, what will happen when you ride in the first shower of rain? Then what will stop the pistons getting all corroded up and sticking in the dust seals?

I wonder why Brembo supplies that little white pack of silicone grease in all its kits?
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

I've always used red grease on calipers and master cylinders etc and never had an issue, I do use it very sparingly as maybe leaving big dollops of it inside something may cause trouble :) , but the main bonus is if like me your a bit of a messy worker, at least any spillages won't paint strip your newly painted brakes :roll: !.

Finished the Handlebar switches, my original ones were damaged and pretty worn / faded anyway with most of the lettering having rubbed off over the years. I found these on ebay advertised as coming from a GPz or GPX ?. Close examination of the pics showed the wiring to be all correct and identical to the Zephyr ones, the only difference is the colouring of the letters being a greenie shade rather than the original white. They look good I think.

I unpicked each wire from it's connector block and cleaned the terminals as some of them were a bit "green" with corrosion, a time consuming job but well worth it, next fitted them up with all the throttle cables etc, hooked up a battery and all worked a treat, job done :D
DSC_1323.JPG
_20181211_210515.JPG
DSC_1330.JPG
92 Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
78 Kawasaki Z1000a2
10 KTM 990 SMT
80 Honda Z50R Monkey
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

Last post of 2018! , I haven't done much of late as unfortunately my Father in law passed away in November so have been tied up with family matters, all very sad really :( bless him

I did get my tank back though, It was quite severely dented in the accident and I didn't want to give it to a paint shop as it was, fearing they might just put huge dollops of filler in it, so a guy I know who used to do spraying and is now a classic car welder agreed to have a go at preparing it for spraying. He stripped it to bare metal then drilled out some access holes underneath the tank and pushed out as much of the dented metal as possible, then carefully welded over the holes and applied a thin skim of filler on the outside. He did remark the tank was in very good condition but had already been repaired before!! .... seems my bike has had quite a life :) I was pleased with the result though as I had had no joy in finding a decent 2nd hand replacement, we all know zephyr tanks are like gold dust
He also suggested having it "lined" but personally I'm not keen on these treatments and would prefer not to, I've filled it with petrol and so far it's bone dry,

....just need to decide on a colour now :) :)

a lot of the dents don't show up in the picture but trust me it was pretty beaten up...there is a dent by the filler neck from my bo*****ks, man that hurt!!!!
DSC_0023.JPG

not a great pic but you can see the holes on the bottom of the tank now welded up he used to gain access to the dents on top
DSC_1347.JPG

End result :D
DSC_1338.JPG

Happy New Year everybody!
92 Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
78 Kawasaki Z1000a2
10 KTM 990 SMT
80 Honda Z50R Monkey