zr550 California fuel tank?

Introduce yourself, share your heroic Zephyr tales, put the world to rights, gossip, etc.
DaftRusty

zr550 California fuel tank?

Post by DaftRusty »

So I have a zr550 fuel tank with the two extra ports on the bottom in conjunction with the overflow tube port for a total of three. Am I correct in assuming that these for the California models that had the extra emission equipment, or are these more common outside of the US? I have three 550 tanks and only only this one has the three ports. I have decided to sell this one, but I wanted to know more about these extra ports so I can more accurately describe it for the sale.

I would be thankful for any information or insight!
1991 zr550
Factory Pro stage 1 jet kit
zx550 pistons and cams
Corey

Re: zr550 California fuel tank?

Post by Corey »

I am betting that is CA only and an emission thing. I ran across the same thing with the ZX550 Tank, and haven't seen another as mine had additional underside nipples for this stuff. One went to the charcoal cannister, and the other went to the airbox. If you don't have a copy of the ZR550 Kawasaki Factory Service Manual, I'd keep an eye out for the last edition on ebay. Part Number on the back cover 99924-1136-03.

Here are some pictures inside that might help you:

Notes
Notes
Attachments
IMG_7708.JPG
1985 GPz550 Daily Commuter (loads of fun stuff)
2003 SV650s Racebike #44
DaftRusty

Re: zr550 California fuel tank?

Post by DaftRusty »

Exactly Corey! The diagram in my FSM is what made me positive it was for the California emissions equipment.
But I bought it from a guy in Canada, so I did't know if our neighbors to the north also used equipment such as charcoal canisters as well.
Frankly put, the zr550 tanks are getting really really rare here in the states and the emission equipped tanks have to be even harder to find.
Emissions Diagram
Emissions Diagram
1991 zr550
Factory Pro stage 1 jet kit
zx550 pistons and cams