Bar raisers

Introduce yourself, share your heroic Zephyr tales, put the world to rights, gossip, etc.
ZR468

Re: Bar raisers

Post by ZR468 »

Freddy is right on. The black clamps are for my windshield. I have since turned the clamps 180degree to slant the windshield further.
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

I have a National Cycle Deflector screen with the quick release knobs so near identical thing.

Actually I just swapped over to a tinted one after running a clear one for a few years. Don't know when it became available. There was nothing wrong with the clear one, just though the tinted screen might look better raked back race style on the Black/silver of a D1. Looks pretty cool I reckon for quite a large screen.
ZR468

Post by ZR468 »

Freddy, The factory supplied a quick release wing nuts with the clamps. When I turned the clamps 180, I replaced the wing nuts with set screws. The set screws are hidden, much neater looking. Mind you, I had trouble reaching the wing nuts in the new position anyways.
Kenny
ZR468

Post by ZR468 »

Just want to update my bar raiser installation. I was quite happy with the 3/4" rise from the universal raiser that I added, but I wanted more pull back which would give me a more upright riding position. I took a chance and ordered another set of bar rasier that has a 7/8" pullback as well as 7/8" rise. I was afraid that I might have to reroute cables and install a new brake line. My lucky stars were in line. This new one went it without rerouting lines or new brake cable. The lines are maxed out though. The riding postion is exactly where I wanted. It is very similar to my touring bike.
Attached is the ebay product I bought. I got a black colour set from a USA vender.
Attachments
image.png
ZR468

Post by ZR468 »

Well, I highjacked this thread a few months ago, I might as well keep updating it.
After riding for a while on my second set of bar raisers, I was still looking for a more upright position. I brought a third set of risers and stack them together with my second set. This gave me a total of 75mm rise and about 40mm pull back. I had to replace the throttle cables, clutch cable, choke cable, and front brake line with longer ones. I had a shop to do the installation, they only charged me 2.5 hours. I didn't have the time or the patience.
Now I am sitting almost upright simliar to a KLR. My hip is not stressed anymore. My neck is in a natural position. I can't wait till a sunny day, so I can take it out for a longer ride than just the trip home from the shop. I'll keep who else is interested posted.
Kenny
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
ZR468

Post by ZR468 »

I hope this will be the last update. Last year, I started with a 1.25" riser, then moved up to a 1.25 with 3/4" pullback. A month ago, I installed a 3" riser after I redid the the cables with a longer version. The riding postion was much much improved. But I thought I could improve it even further, so I installed a 4" riser today. The riding position is perfect for me now. It is very simliar to my ST1300 ( Pan European). I am a happy camper.
I think I have maxed out the electric cables, so no more new riasers.
Kenny
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
David Richard

Post by David Richard »

hi Kenny its just a thought would a taller set of handle bars not have the same affect I have never had the need to do this I had a Canadian rd 400 which had tall bars which I changed to uk spec bars ,there was a big difference ,david
ZR468

Post by ZR468 »

Yes, a taller set of bars would do the same job and might even look better. I could not find a set of new bar I like, so I went with the risers. Also I want to keep the bike as original as possible. Now I am just waiting for a sunny and dry day to go for a test ride.
Kenny
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

David Richard wrote:hi Kenny its just a thought would a taller set of handle bars not have the same affect
Maybe something like these?

andye

Post by andye »

Something like the bars from a Z1, or a Triumph Thunderbird/ Legend would be somewhere near.