Starter Clutch Replaced 5k miles ago - slipping

For all your mechanical queries, or for sharing your mechanical know-how. Also used for arguing about which oil to use...
Freddy

Re: Starter Clutch Replaced 5k miles ago - slipping

Post by Freddy »

ZZ1ZR wrote:Also I use Mobil 1 semi synthetic
Isn't Mobile 1 motorcycle oil classified as a 'fully synthetic' oil?

On the following model bike people were experiencing problem with Mobil 1 in 20-50 grade, but not 10-40 https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/7-vtx-1300 ... -50-a.html
ZZ1ZR

Post by ZZ1ZR »

On investigation two out of three springs in the starter clutch were about two thirds the length of a new one and one was broken up completely. So, as well as replacing the HiVo chain and the cam chain, I bought a set of starter clutch springs and a new starter sprocket from Cradley Kawasaki. Have fitted them and everything seems ok - nice and solid. Intend to run the starter motor on the bench before putting the engine in the bike, I'll let you know how I get on.

http://www.kawasakioriginalparts.com/ro ... country=GB
ZZ1ZR

Post by ZZ1ZR »

Re the oil: apologies, I made a mistake, I used a semi-synthetic 10-40 oil called Power 1 from Castrol.

I think the reason for the spring wear and break-up in the starter clutch could have been the slack Primary Chain. I believe the chain was jumping the sprockets at low and high revs.
ZZ1ZR

Post by ZZ1ZR »

As a further bulletin I replaced the starter clutch springs only and the idler gear. Cradley kawasaki in the UK have these in stock. It all works pretty flawlessly now. I am using a semi-synthetic oil (Halfords own brand).

I'll let you know on reliability.