LED turn signals

Introduce yourself, share your heroic Zephyr tales, put the world to rights, gossip, etc.
Tacomalx4x4

LED turn signals

Post by Tacomalx4x4 »

Hello I just recently put LED turn signals on my bike. I can hear the relay buzzing when I try to put the blinker on. And only 1 in front and 1 in back will work. Anybody know the fix? New relay? It also blue the tail fuse.
hugojose

Re: LED turn signals

Post by hugojose »

To install LED running/turnin lights you need:

1) An Electronic flashing relay replacing the mechanical stock. ..DO NOT use loading resistors, they are as wasteful or worse than the stock incandescent lamps. Here you have to verify if stock is two-legs, or three. I don't remember.

You do not mention which bike you have. If it is a Zeph 750 with single directional flasher indicator on dash, you also need

2) a Y diode connector like in the bottom link. This is for motorcycles with a single indicator, instead of two for each direction.

The problem here is the indicator is bridging both sided electrically, and relies on potential differentials when one side is on,...... does not work with LEDs. The diodes connect the flasher independently to each side.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... ad%20group

I spliced this Y in the indicator lamp dash panel wire loom. Had to remove the panel. Not difficult but you need to know what you are doing, and which wires to connect to. I don't remember, it was so long ago, but you are interested, I can print more details.
Tacomalx4x4

Post by Tacomalx4x4 »

Thank you sir! I have a 92 750c1. It does have the single indicator. The relay on it is a 2 prong. I’ll take as much help as I can get. Thanks
hugojose

Post by hugojose »

OK, I'll assume you have not got an electronic flasher relay...most any would do, but is better get one as close as the stock as possible physically. Usually the inconvenient is how to mount it as the stock has a little prong and the generic ones do not. But if push comes to shove, you can drill a small hole(carefully) on the bike plastic base and zip tie the new one. Use a bit of imagination.

About the Y connector. The directional-on indicator on dash is fed by two wires, one is Green, the other one is Gray. One is connected to left side blinkers, the other one to the right ones.

These wires GOING TO THE LIGHT would have to be cut (where convenient) and the single wire from the Y, blue I believe, would be connected to one of them, no matter which one. The remaining one (Gray or Green) would have to be connected to GROUND....either spliced onto a Black/Yelow wire(Ground), or any part on frame or engine.

The other two wires on the other side of the Y, the red ones, would be connected (spliced) to the Green and Gray COMMING TO THE LIGHt (from the Headlamp shell, I think), it does not matter which one. Basically, the Y would feed power to the LIGHT from one side or the other independently.

..am I making any sense, or are you detered already??…..don't know your electrical skills.
Tacomalx4x4

Post by Tacomalx4x4 »

Thanks a lot. No it makes perfect sense. Pretty simple. I actually found a relay the same size and it has the clip on the back for the rubber piece. I’ll let you know how it goes.