Switchgear

When all the smoke has escaped from inside the wires...
Greenzephyr

Switchgear

Post by Greenzephyr »

What other switch gear can be used on our Zephyrs?
Greenzephyr

Re: Switchgear

Post by Greenzephyr »

Just in case any one wants to know Kawasaki ZZR switches with a little bit of pin location swapping fit & look good
Swampy

Post by Swampy »

Greenzephyr wrote:Just in case any one wants to know Kawasaki ZZR switches with a little bit of pin location swapping fit & look good
Thanks for that Greenzephyr, I can only assume that nobody knew the answer to your question that's why it draw a blank :o
Swamps :)
Shedman

Post by Shedman »

I've only just seen this but I thought I'd add my recent experience. The right hand switch gear from 1993/4 Kawasaki EL250 D4 or D5 is exactly the same as the 750C1/2 UK Zephyr, same Kawasaki part number as well.
The left hand switch gear from a 1990 EX250H1 is identical to the UK 750C1/2 Zephyr, same Kawasaki part number as well.
How did I happen to come across this you may ask?, well in the dim dark past, for some unknown reason a PO decided that he was going to swap all of the electrics on my bike for the electrics from a US/Canadian bike. After having put a new ignition switch on my bike because my old ignition died, I couldn't get the bike to start. I started to check the wiring and found two extra wires inside the headlamp, traced where they went and they were from the front indicators.
I have personally disconnected these "extra" wires on a couple of my Imported Honda's, they are for the constant on Daytime Running lights that are a Legal Requirement in certain states on the other side of the Pond.
I'd often wondered why my C1 was different to my C4 Zephyr, as in my C1 had no lights On/Off switch, the lights came on with the ignition and there was no headlamp flash on the left switch gear.
I did a bit more digging and found that according to the Haynes wiring diagram my wiring harness was from the US/Canadian model as well.
To make matters worse, it appears that it wasn't a simple straight swap, bits of wiring had been added or removed to make things work and someone had been at the old, now failed ignition switch.
Now I ain't the sharpest tool in the box when it comes to electrickery so I figured the easiest option was to replace the US harness with a UK one...........and the switch gears..........and the headlamp!
Looking on ebay for 750 Zephyr switch gear I was horrified at some of the prices some sellers were asking, starting at £30 each for grubby looking switches going up to £60 each for ones in roughly the same condition as mine.
I went on the Cradley Kawasaki site, found the full part numbers, copied them then clicked on "Search with Google" option.
A few different models appeared for the same part numbers so I started searching ebay for switch gears from these models.
It would appear that sellers seem to think that a part for a 750cc bike warrants a price 3 times higher than for the identical part for a 250cc bike, I found both switch gears in very good condition for less than £30 with postage included.
BTW, the 550 headlamp is identical to the 750 just in case anyone was wondering.....oh and yes you've probably guessed it, a third of the price as well.
Swampy

Post by Swampy »

Well done Shedman, it just goes to show what you can find with a bit of homework :o
Swamps :)
Shedman

Post by Shedman »

Swampy wrote:Well done Shedman, it just goes to show what you can find with a bit of homework :o
Being tighter than a ducks arse may have played a role in my home research....well that and a load of old Honda's that I also need parts for on a budget of bugger all. :)