Metallic rattle

For all your mechanical queries, or for sharing your mechanical know-how. Also used for arguing about which oil to use...
Woodworm

Metallic rattle

Post by Woodworm »

Just out on ride today and have a metallic rattle coming from front left hand side,checked exhaust and they are all secure,what is in left hand cover on engine is it the rotor ,could that rattle,I’m not that mechanicals minded so excuse my questioning, by the way it’s the 1100 model.
Ivor

Re: Metallic rattle

Post by Ivor »

the cover is easy enough off , just be careful with the gasket if you want to re-use it . the main bolt in there might have worked loose . could also be the cam chain tensioner that needs re-adjusting. while the engine is running you could always try the hammer handle to the ear and engine trick to try and work out exactly where the noise is coming from
1995 ZR1100A2
Ivor

Re: Metallic rattle

Post by Ivor »

also just listening to my 1100 while the engine is running there is a slight metallic ticking coming from the starting motor , so might be worth looking at that also . (its a reconditioned one so shouldn't have any problems there , and it certainly starts the bike fine )
1995 ZR1100A2