Oil leak help

For all your mechanical queries, or for sharing your mechanical know-how. Also used for arguing about which oil to use...
Mahaflac

Oil leak help

Post by Mahaflac »

I have an oil leak that is collecting near the kick stand. It is not large leak but want to know if there is a common problem that this may be. I plan to track it down soon but thought I would save myself some work if this is a common problem.
Freddy

Re: Oil leak help

Post by Freddy »

Mahaflac wrote:I have an oil leak that is collecting near the kick stand. It is not large leak but want to know if there is a common problem that this may be. I plan to track it down soon but thought I would save myself some work if this is a common problem.
What model?

On a 750 it's common for oil to drip from the join in the two halves of airbox, which ends up in the area you're looking at. The rubber seal that joins the two halves together deteriorates over time, so any oil in the airbox that is supposed to run down a tube on the right hand side and collect in a small container near the right footpeg just drips out the join.
hugojose

Post by hugojose »

…………..or from the shifter shaft, or front sprocket shaft oil seals in transmission plate.
Mahaflac

Post by Mahaflac »

Freddy wrote:
Mahaflac wrote:I have an oil leak that is collecting near the kick stand. It is not large leak but want to know if there is a common problem that this may be. I plan to track it down soon but thought I would save myself some work if this is a common problem.
What model?

On a 750 it's common for oil to drip from the join in the two halves of airbox, which ends up in the area you're looking at. The rubber seal that joins the two halves together deteriorates over time, so any oil in the airbox that is supposed to run down a tube on the right hand side and collect in a small container near the right footpeg just drips out the join.
It is the 92 model, 750. I will start at these places. Thanks for the help