6 day tour

Introduce yourself, share your heroic Zephyr tales, put the world to rights, gossip, etc.
Freddy

6 day tour

Post by Freddy »

Heading of Thursday for a 6 day trip around the state with 4 other riders from our Meetup ride group. Trip will be around 3000 kilometers covering many of the classic roads.

Weather at this stage looks good, but as a lot of the trip is through the mountains anything can happen. As this trip goes over a holiday period, we have to be extra wary of the 'safety marshals' because out state has 'double demerit points' during these periods. Not that we ever speed or anything, but sometimes attention wanders :lol:

Not the greatest photo taker, but at least one person on the ride is. So I'll post up a few pics when I get back.
dcf750

Re: 6 day tour

Post by dcf750 »

Good luck on the tour Freddy. :P Will look forward to seeing the pictures. It is raining where I live in the UK this week so no chance of any riding. :(
Den

Zephyr 750 C4
Zephyr 750 C3
————————-
Z1000-A2 1979
KH400-A4 1977
KH250-B1 1976
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

yeh wet couple of weeks for us in Blighty..., have a safe trip and look forward to the photos :D
1995 ZR1100A2
David Richard

Post by David Richard »

from what ive seen on tv its the kangaroos and cows that might jump out on top of you that would worry me ,keep a look out for a rare breed of zephyr ,have a good one ,david
Swampy

Post by Swampy »

Hope that its going well Freddy.... Looking forward to the picture :D
Swamps :)
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Some pictures from the trip. Bike went well, no issues. That's me in the pic below, second from the left.

Last picture is an example of the bush fires that have ravaged massive areas due to one of the worst droughts on record West of the ranges. The kangaroos were a problem as they come out to the road side where there is some feed. Saw one car parked up totally destroyed from hitting a roo.
dcf750

Post by dcf750 »

Glad you had a great time and safe trip Freddy. Mountain scenery looks good.
Den

Zephyr 750 C4
Zephyr 750 C3
————————-
Z1000-A2 1979
KH400-A4 1977
KH250-B1 1976
Swampy

Post by Swampy »

It looks bloody nice there Freddy, nice and clean and respected..... interesting bit about the kangaroos thou, writing off the cars, well they are big and solid :o
Swamps :)
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Swampy wrote:It looks bloody nice there Freddy, nice and clean and respected..... interesting bit about the kangaroos thou, writing off the cars, well they are big and solid :o
Second day, arrive just on dusk at Glen Innes (about 3 hours ride inland from the coast). Prime roo time, kangaroos everywhere in the mountains just behind the town. On the road, side of the road, lots of dead ones.

Owner of the hotel where we are staying asks me, without me even mentioning all the roos on the road, "did you tuck in behind a car coming over the mountain, or just roll-the-dice'. Clearly a well know road hazard.

Not exaggerating, in certain areas there would have been a dead kangaroo on the side of the road every 30? meters for hundreds of kilometers at a time. The drought pushes them to graze beside the road as the paddocks are just dust bowels. A roo is not smart like a cow which will just stand on the side of the road as you pass. A roo will stand dead still looking straight at the approaching vehicle, doing nothing till the vehicle is only a few meters away. Then jump, and 90% of the time onto the road into the vehicle.
David Richard

Post by David Richard »

hi fredy that would age any person on two wheels ,what you need a kenworth scania with bull bars i wont complain about phesants or the odd dear that pulls that stunt ,david