750 d2 carb mixture screw

For all your mechanical queries, or for sharing your mechanical know-how. Also used for arguing about which oil to use...
David Richard

750 d2 carb mixture screw

Post by David Richard »

i have been renewing carb rubbers fuel pipe vacum pipes etc with them off the bike and the mixture screws were set at 1 and half out so i went for 2 and quarter on 1 and 4 and 2 half for the 2 and 3 and i noted that the end off the screw is almost flat with the surface of the carb body unlike the outer 2 which you can feel with tour finger is this normal ,the screw are in good condition and i know over the years they have a different part no from early ones they all have springs and o rings intact ,any help thanks ,david
hugojose

Re: 750 d2 carb mixture screw

Post by hugojose »

David, to me it sounds like they are way out. I believe mine are about 1 1/2 all even and they seem to be about 5 mm deep from the edge of their wells. Have them 1 and 1/2 because switched pilot jet from 35 stock to 38 size. Believe was something like 2 and 3/4 with the 35 pilot......I know the manual says something like 2 1/4 with stock jets.

Also, don't know where you are, but am in the USA and the carbs here came with mix screw wells sealed with epoxied lids. I had to drill them out to gain access many moons ago, so don't know if the US bikes have extended wells.

.....in reality what really tells you where they are, is the tiny nozzle sticking out of throat by the butterfly, but you need to have them out to see it.
David Richard

Re: 750 d2 carb mixture screw

Post by David Richard »

thanks for your reply hugojose ,im in the uk and the bike is in standard form with the jetting 35 pilots 1and 4 main s 88 2and 3 85 its i have never noticed what length they are in the carb body the screws are the same length i laid them side by side the bike ran ok when i got it a month ago and yes the book says 1 and half out yet i seem to think on another d1 in the past i backed them out more than the recommended and i would not have thought any more about it apart from not seeing point of the screw,thanks