Zephyr 550 - fuel filter ideas?

For all your mechanical queries, or for sharing your mechanical know-how. Also used for arguing about which oil to use...
Peka

Zephyr 550 - fuel filter ideas?

Post by Peka »

Hi guys!
recently, I had to clean my carbs, took me a quite a some time, due to extra work on my job in the past couple of weeks. Probably as you know, carbs had all kind of junk. In one of the carbs there was even a bit of nylon in jets!
Where I live, it is bad situation with fuel, not really cleanest fuel, and I believe others have the same situation.

I was thinking to put fuel filter, it was just an idea. For now I have few reasons why this would be bad, but before I throw off this idea, I wanted to see if some of you had experience with it. Did someone made it to work, or it is better to leave as it is?
Any suggestion?

Thanks,
greetings from Serbia!

Kawasaki Zephyr 550
David Richard

Re: Zephyr 550 - fuel filter ideas?

Post by David Richard »

hi peka ,i would say its more of a good idea if you you have bad fuel i would pull the petrol tap and clean that filter as well and hope you dont find any rust in there ,these tanks are prone to it if the bike was parked up and left ,good luck ,david
hugojose

Post by hugojose »

The stock petcock has two fuel filters built-in on top, inside the tank. One shorter (Prime), and one taller (On). This simulates 'reserve'. There is none really. But this is to say, you do have fuel filters, however does not mean after so many years won't be a good idea replacing the petcock. .

....additionally, it does not hurt at all having an in-line clear filter before the carbs. It is additional protection and you can see when fuel is flowing into the carbs.
Peka

Post by Peka »

Thanks four answers! I cleaned those filters inside tank, but they doesn't look like they promise a lot. I heard that having in-line filter right before carbs can make trouble, since any gunk can make fuel stop passing through since it is a nature flow of fuel.
With cars there are pumps that inject fuel into the engine.
Thanks for advice!
David Richard

Post by David Richard »

morning perka ,its good you found the fuel tap filters ,i would rather stop any grud or bebris at the inline filter than have it pass through down to the carbs ,it will block them up for sure resulting in another carb strip and a couple of wasted hours how dirty is your fuel ,david