Hi, from the middle of Australia

Introduce yourself, share your heroic Zephyr tales, put the world to rights, gossip, etc.
David Richard

Re: Hi, from the middle of Australia

Post by David Richard »

hi yes sorry about that ,i thought my post was not going through so kept hitting the button i think its a first ,david
Shedman

Post by Shedman »

David Richard wrote:hi yes sorry about that ,i thought my post was not going through so kept hitting the button i think its a first ,david
:lol:
Ryan550

Post by Ryan550 »

Thanks for the welcome, the welcome... anyway, the bike is in a hell of alot of pieces, but it has been kept inside previously. It seems to be in reasonable condition, I've cleaned the carbies and it runs sort of, fuel tap is leaking so I have ordered a kit for that.

I will try to get some pictures in the next few days, and I will no doubt be looking for some pictures f how everything goes together.

And as for why I've only just decided to go do the test, I've wanted to for quite some time, but never got around to it, a friend needed somewhere to store his bike, said I could use it, I said I didn't have my license, he suggested I go and get it and I can use his bike. Then my brother offered me this bike, and my mate is going through a breakup with his wife, so he needs the bike back. Which isn't a big deal for me, because I'd rather have my own bike anyway.
Ryan550

Post by Ryan550 »

Just adding, finally, the rebuild kit for my fuel tap turned up, but due to the corona I couldn't pick the package up before the weekend.

Also I don't think I addressed Davids concerns about becoming invisible on the road, I think I mentioned all of the rest of my family have had bikes, so I have been brought up to be aware of bikes, and to realise not many other people are.

Not great, but I took a couple of pictures, here's the bike as it sits.
20200608_170107.jpg
I think I have all the parts, seat, tank, side covers, need to buy some new indicators and find fasteners to hold it all together though.
David Richard

Post by David Richard »

hi ryan yep its got potential ,its always the carbs they dont take much to muck up the running but i would pull all the bullet connectors from front to back you might have a bit of dust in there ,good luck ,david
Ryan550

Post by Ryan550 »

I popped into the post office this morning (Tuesday) on my way to work and picked up my fuel tap kit, then put it together during my lunch break at work. I didn't take any pictures, but I understand there is supposed to be a short gauze filter and a tube with a gauze filter for the main and reserve pickups. It only had the short gauze on it, but there was something rattling around in the tank.

After some messing around and removing the fuel level sender, I fished out the long tube, and a funny little plastic cu with a rubber disc, probably 12mm or so across, and appears to be a one way valve. Same white plastic as the pickup tube, so I guess it's fallen off somewhere.

Anyway, put the long tube back in the fuel tap and fitted that, also think I figured out the two small hoses that go onto the tank, drain for the fuel sender in case it leaks, and I think another drain for if fuel is spilt around the filler. I put the tank on loosely, and added some fuel, good thing is the tap no longer appears to be leaking, but I need to figure out the correct routing for the fuel supply hose, especially since I have added a small inline filter.

But after some cranking, jump started off my car battery, it actually fired up by itself, but doesn't seem to want to run without the choke on, and still seems to be having issues getting fuel on the left cylinder, number 1? So I guess I'll pull the carbs off again and make sure it has not picked up some more junk. Funnily enough I just went through similar with the car behind it, that took 3 tries before it came good. So far I've been chasing my tail with the bike, pretty sure the tap was most of the problem, and it did not actually have a leak at the carbs.
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Ryan550 wrote: but doesn't seem to want to run without the choke on, .
Reiterating again what hugojose has previously said, if the bike is like it is in the picture with the carbies completely disconnected from the airbox, it will NEVER run correctly. With a CV type carburetor the complete airbox, airfilter, and snorkel are an integral part of the carburetor design. Be a long post to explain all the technical reasons why, but just ask yourself how well a car carby goes when the accelerator pump is shot? A CV carby doesn't even have a mechanical accelerator pump, but it still manages to dumps extra fuel into the intake when the throttle is quickly opened, just one bit of magic created by the airbox.
Ryan550

Post by Ryan550 »

OK, so it is not going to run 'correctly' without the annoying ducts to the airbox and the guess how it goes together air filter, but will it run and rev OK unloaded?

I'm going to guess it will, but at the moment it seems to only be running on 3 cylinders, judging by exhaust pipe temps, once I get it running on all four at least at idle, I'll spend a few hours fitting the intake ducts lol. Pity I can't just put the little pod filters I seem to be able to find easily straight n the carbs.
Ryan550

Post by Ryan550 »

Has anyone got a decent diagram of where the drillings and passages go in these CV carbs?

Seems to have a blocked idle circuit on at least one of the carbs, I cleaned out the main jet and the pilot?? jet that is pressed into place, and can blow compressed air through the air bleed side of things, but can't see or figure out where the fuel actually comes from for the idle circuit.

I've got the carbs in at work again, and I'll pull the floats and maybe the tops off and make sure all the passages I can find are clear, but I want to make sure I have found all of the passages.