1100 B1 Newby

Document your ongoing rebuilds and restorations here
Silverkap

Re: 1100 B1 Newby

Post by Silverkap »

I bought it second hand, it had already the 4in4, the spoked wheels and the paintwork was already done. I modified several small things (seats, handlebar, footpegs, rear shocks, etc...) but the motorbike was already awesome (in my opinion)...that's why I bought it.

I checked back in the past the price for the 4in4 and I found it was something around 1600£...

I think the idea you have is awesome!
Zed

Post by Zed »

You can also buy the 4x4 system from webike in Japan it´s 863 + shipping and taxes. Seems they are out of stock for the moment
https://www.webike.no/ps/#!p.b=190&p.m= ... 002&p.sk=1
96 Zephyr 1100
Silverkap

Post by Silverkap »

This looks like mine...
HeavenEleven

Post by HeavenEleven »

Hi Dave.
Fellow 1100B1 owner here ;)
"Get a proper bike!"
DaveZ1

Post by DaveZ1 »

Hi all got my hands on a set of Z1 4 into 4 exhausts and offered them up to the zephyr but unfortunately they’re not even close so that idea is a none starter.
I’ve contacted Webike Japan (again) but still not available and can’t give any date on new stock becoming available.
Just saying enquire again in three months time. So it looks like I may have to be happy with refurbishing the original exhausts unless anyone anywhere in the world knows how I might buy a set. (Can’t believe there isn’t a single available set anywhere on the planet that I can buy)
The original silencers are pretty good but now I have the headers off they could do with some tlc (rechroming or buy a better set) just a bit cautious of spending money on the originals then find the 4 into 4s becoming available again.
Suppose I will crack on with the restoration and leave the exhausts till last and hope for the best.
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

DaveZ1 wrote:So it looks like I may have to be happy with refurbishing the original exhausts unless anyone anywhere in the world knows how I might buy a set. (Can’t believe there isn’t a single available set anywhere on the planet that I can buy)
The original silencers are pretty good but now I have the headers off they could do with some tlc (rechroming or buy a better set) .
I think you will find that re-chroming the original headers is not an option. Understandably the chrome works do not want to contaminate their chemical baths with the crap from the insides of the pipes. I think you will find a chrome look ceramic coating is the way to go if that's what you decide.
DaveZ1

Post by DaveZ1 »

Hi Freddy, your quiet right many chrome plating companies are very reluctant to take on exhaust systems especially two stroke silencers. But having restored a number of Z1s over the years I have come across a few people that have had even pretty badly corroded original pipes repaired and re-chromed (including silencers) so I’m pretty confident I could get just the headers re-chromed if I decide to go down that route.
Tel

Post by Tel »

On the subject of 1100B1 Newbies, this is my B1, bought it over 10 years ago, but after sorting out the usual jumping out of 2nd gear problem, I never really bothered with it, due to spending most of my time working, or spending weekends classic racing, so its languished under a cover in the shed for 10 years, hence its recorded 12.000 miles

Wheeled it out of the shed now and into the garage for some recomissioning over the winter, still looks a proper bike though - anyone any idea how many B models are left?

Oddly enough, I'm in the North East of England as well (Durham)
Attachments
IMG_20201107_124219149.jpg
DaveZ1

Post by DaveZ1 »

Hi Tel nice looking B1 you have there nice to know there’s another owner close by would love to meet up for a chat n ride out when I get the restoration finished and the current situation has blown over.
Found this site about how many Vehicles of different types are left registered in the U.K. https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/k ... _zr1100-b1 looks like there’s only around 40 B1’s left in the U.K.!!!
Becoming a pretty rare beast well worth hanging on to.
I’ve still had no luck sourcing a set of 4into 4’s so keep your ear to the ground and let me know if you hear anything.
Cheers, Dave
DaveZ1

Post by DaveZ1 »

Strip down complete now and bodywork set off to the painters, I finally decided on the Z1B candy red paint scheme.
The tank had a bit of rust visible through the filler cap so let it sit for 3 days filled with white vinegar and it de-rusted it a treat.
The frame is in pretty good shape and the disassembly went really well with only minor surface rust on the centre stand and the only seized screws were the Philips button head M6 fasteners fixing the rear inner mudguard/battery box. Initially drilled the tops off to get the plastics off then applied a bit of heat and got them out with pipe grips.
Next decision is what to do with the frame paint/ powder coat. Try and match the original colour with car paint or powder coat with as close a colour that is available.
The engine will be stripped completely and restored to factory spec and painted in Z1 black scheme with polished cylinder fin edges and side covers. I’ll probably move this thread to the projects section if there’s any interest in this from people on here and post updates as the restoration progresses.
Attachments
5C2C42C3-3858-441C-9841-52DD068E32A2.jpeg