Middle or paddock stand?

For all your mechanical queries, or for sharing your mechanical know-how. Also used for arguing about which oil to use...
Zed

Middle or paddock stand?

Post by Zed »

What will you say is the best way to secure the bike when working on it? Will you recommend paddock stands front and rear or will the middle stand be sufficient - what do you use and prefer?
96 Zephyr 1100
Freddy

Re: Middle or paddock stand?

Post by Freddy »

I've only ever used the stock center stand on the 750 and never had any problem. If I have to work under the bike I stick a couple hex tools (one being the key in the standard tool kit) in the chain adjuster cams and put some vehicle stands under then and jack up each side by screwing the height adjusters on the vehicle stands. Jack up the front under the sump and put stack bricks under the front wheel.

The only time I find it necessary to be careful just using the center stand is when pulling both wheels out for new rubber. With the weight of no rear wheel in the back jacking up the front with a floor jack under the sump can make the whole thing a bit unstable unless your careful not to put the jack as far forward under the sump. If that's unclear, without the weight of the wheel in the back keeping the center stand on the ground, a jack under the sump is nearly the center weight wise, so the whole bike wants to lift.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

like freddy says , I use the centre stand mostly as ive had my S1000rr topple off paddock stands, if I need to use both paddock stands to change the tyres I always tie a rope round the handle bars and to the garage rafters just in case :shock:
1995 ZR1100A2
Stereordinary

Post by Stereordinary »

Thread resurrection here, but what about us 550 owners with no center stand? I need to change my front tire, and I have a head lift stand, but I’m cautious about that being enough. Should I get a rear paddock stand, and if so, any advice on what to look for? Or, is a center scissor-Jack sort of thing a better idea?
A breeze from the west.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

ive got a BMW S1000rr with no centre stand so i have to use front and rear paddock stands , bit of an iffy job on your own and i've had it fall off once, so now when i have it up on stands i always tie a rope round the head stock and the garage rafters just to steady it while its up there .
1995 ZR1100A2
seano

Post by seano »

Hi personally i use a stock rear paddock stand when the centre stand wont do and on the front a headstock paddock stand as i find it far more sturdier / safer than the paddock stand