550 fork seals

For all your handling questions
550 Dunc

550 fork seals

Post by 550 Dunc »

Hi new to site been on the intro etc ,used to have older jap classics including Z650. One of the fork seals as gone as there is no main stand on a 550 what is the best way of getting the front wheel off the ground. I do have a paddock stand for the rear but nothing else for the front end, is there any tips for this. I do have a trolley jack and the bike is fitted with front engine bars. cheers
Freddy

Re: 550 fork seals

Post by Freddy »

As you haven't as yet received a reply to your question, its not that people don't want to help, its just that other like myself are perhaps unsure what will work with a 550 and its 4:1 exhaust running under the engine. If it was a 750 just stick it on the center stand, and a couple short bits of 3 b 2 to go up between the exhaust pipes under the sump and jack up the front end with the trolley jack. There's surprisingly little weight on the jack with the center stand being toward the middle of the bike carrying most of it.
550 Dunc

Post by 550 Dunc »

Freddy wrote:As you haven't as yet received a reply to your question, its not that people don't want to help, its just that other like myself are perhaps unsure what will work with a 550 and its 4:1 exhaust running under the engine. If it was a 750 just stick it on the center stand, and a couple short bits of 3 b 2 to go up between the exhaust pipes under the sump and jack up the front end with the trolley jack. There's surprisingly little weight on the jack with the center stand being toward the middle of the bike carrying most of it.
I was thinking paddock stand at the rear then jacking the frame near the triple tree and sliding in heavy weight cable drum under the sump area/frame something like that. will not be doing it for a few weeks anyway someone might have more ideas later.
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

You virtually have to use the paddock stand for the rear, so that's a no brainer. Do you have a beam in the garage than you could 'block and tackle' up the front taking off the fuel tank and using a soft sling under the frame where it all joins to the steering 'neck'. Can't think of the correct name for the frame tube that holds the steering bearings. Right where all the frames weld to that tube is the strongest part of the whole frame and you certainly won't damage anything as long as you make sure your sling doesn't foul something.

Be aware there are certain 'special' tools you are going to need to do the seals. You can make some of them. These include a seal driver, a tool to stop the damper rod spinning when you try and undo it, and while perhaps not absolutely necessary, and impact gun to undo the 'locktited' damper rod bolt. That will depend on the quality of your damper rod holding tool.

Also check carefully for nicks on the inner fork tube. That was the reason for a recent leaking seal on mine. Oh, and while you have it apart I think it would be crazy not to fit new bushes. And do both legs.
kinkyfreestyler

Post by kinkyfreestyler »

personally I bought a headstock front stand that is to say it fits into the lower triple clamp (yoke) and allows the removal of the forks .

it saves so much hassle ,

failing that use 2 axle stands for a car one under each crash bar !
550 Dunc

Post by 550 Dunc »

Hi I have seen them. Seems to be the way to go. Cheers