What gear should I be in? n00b rider question.

Introduce yourself, share your heroic Zephyr tales, put the world to rights, gossip, etc.
David Richard

Re: What gear should I be in? n00b rider question.

Post by David Richard »

hi shedman ,thats tough you have done well to keep going ,touch wood ive been lucky you see it all the time cars pulling out onto path of other cars ,what chance have we got i like to go out early in the summer 5 am its more enjoyable just cant get any mates out at that time ,david
Freddy

Re: What gear should I be in? n00b rider question.

Post by Freddy »

David Richard wrote:hi shedman ,thats tough you have done well to keep going ,touch wood ive been lucky you see it all the time cars pulling out onto path of other cars ,what chance have we got i like to go out early in the summer 5 am its more enjoyable just cant get any mates out at that time ,david
While completely off topic to the original question, trust its been already well answered, but don't hesitate to sing-out if not ...... another interesting point raised above.

I do quite a lot of 'group' rides. Not massive slow parades, but keen riders who like to do some fast country miles with others. These rides generally start pretty early in the morning, and you usually plan to get there 30 minutes or more early to have a coffee, introduce yourself, chat etc, before taking off for the day. And most start on the very far side of Sydney from where I live, so you are travelling in very light traffic on Saturday or Sunday mornings across the whole of Sydney.

Getting to my point, I've probably had more close calls with cars just pulling out of side streets travelling in this light to no traffic on Sunday mornings heading to an early ride start than any other time (and I ride in busy peak hour traffic most days of the year). Drivers are expecting few to no cars to be on the road real early on a Sunday morning. So they just pull up barely in the side street, have a quick glance for cars or trucks approaching on the main road, don't see any and just pull out. The one vehicle on the main road approaching, my motorcycle doesn't even register. They aren't looking for a motorcycle, so they don't see it. So I think very early with little to no traffic can actually be quite a dangerous time to be on city roads on a motorcycle, and great care needs to be taken.