Starter Clutch Replacement

For all your mechanical queries, or for sharing your mechanical know-how. Also used for arguing about which oil to use...
Shedman

Starter Clutch Replacement

Post by Shedman »

Anyone done it? I believe it can be done with the engine in the frame but that it would be a damn sight easier if I took the lump out. Your thoughts would be appreciated. I have done it previously on old Honda fours before but never a Kwak.
hugojose

Re: Starter Clutch Replacement

Post by hugojose »

Yes, I have done it. Can be done with engine in frame.......is done through the oil pan opening. Exhaust pipes, oil pan, transmission clutch, and oil pump all come out. Secondary shaft comes out from left to right, and starter clutch drops on your hand. Same if engine was on a bench, except you work closer to the ground.

.... replace the whole clutch, not just the rollers and springs, but also the casing and race, and also replace the rubber dampers in it.

.....it is also possible to upgrade to the sprag starting clutch of the ZR-7, but it is a whole more expensive.....the parts.

.....if you want more tips, let me know.
Shedman

Post by Shedman »

Thanks Hugo, I really appreciate the info. I'm on the verge of selling all of my bikes due to age and I just want them to be right before passing them on. Is there anything that would be best to remove before taking the engine out of the frame? I'm gonna go with taking the motor out so that I can clean/polish/paint what I can't get at with it in there.
hugojose

Post by hugojose »

Sorry you are letting go. and I assume you are talking about the 750/550 on this subject. The 1100 is an entirely different kind of animal.

Like I said, this job does not require engine out, perfectly doable with it in the frame, but you if are into taking engine out is by choice....other than the big physical effort wouldn't think of anything ..is about 180 lbs (80 Kgs). If you remove the valve covers, it makes it less taller, and a little easier.....

On doing the starting clutch of course, you would need certain tools and some parts, for other systems to be removed, like gaskets. The transmission clutch inner basket big nut, should be replaced. Better to have an impact gun for this one. You would also need a clutch basket holder. Careful with clutch spring bolts, they could strip the basket very easily. By the way, the transmission clutch might be easier to remove with engine on frame, than out and would make engine lighter.

Keep system parts separate and in same order they came out.

.....secondary shaft is held by a plate on right side with three big phillips screws,(partially holding oil pump too). These screws are staked on the plate....you may need an impact screw drivers to take them out. Secondary shaft has insert on left..don't drop it........and of course, have a factory manual handy.
Shedman

Post by Shedman »

hugojose wrote:Sorry you are letting go. and I assume you are talking about the 750/550 on this subject. The 1100 is an entirely different kind of animal.

Like I said, this job does not require engine out, perfectly doable with it in the frame, but you if are into taking engine out is by choice....other than the big physical effort wouldn't think of anything ..is about 180 lbs (80 Kgs). If you remove the valve covers, it makes it less taller, and a little easier.....

On doing the starting clutch of course, you would need certain tools and some parts, for other systems to be removed, like gaskets. The transmission clutch inner basket big nut, should be replaced. Better to have an impact gun for this one. You would also need a clutch basket holder. Careful with clutch spring bolts, they could strip the basket very easily. By the way, the transmission clutch might be easier to remove with engine on frame, than out and would make engine lighter.

Keep system parts separate and in same order they came out.

.....secondary shaft is held by a plate on right side with three big phillips screws,(partially holding oil pump too). These screws are staked on the plate....you may need an impact screw drivers to take them out. Secondary shaft has insert on left..don't drop it........and of course, have a factory manual handy.
Thanks Hugo, yes its the 750. I was going to remove the engine so that I can paint the cases and polish or re-plate anything that is a bit corroded. The swing arm could do with powder coating while I'm at it as the rear caliper needs a rebuild. The front end was all done last year, new fork seals and rebuilt calipers, the wiring harness, switchgear and ignition were all replaced as well as a new gel battery and headlight. I think I posted it on here about how a previous owner had replaced the Uk electrical system with one from a US/Canadian bike for whatever reason that made sense to him but it wasn't such a good idea, stupid little electrical problems all the time like bulbs and fuses blowing,
David Richard

Post by David Richard »

hi shedman its been a while ,sorry to hear you might be stepping back we only see a small part of someone on here and life and time march on i hope you find a good home for them ,i know its been done before on here but could you do a photo account of your starter clutch keep us posted ,david
Shedman

Post by Shedman »

David Richard wrote:hi shedman its been a while ,sorry to hear you might be stepping back we only see a small part of someone on here and life and time march on i hope you find a good home for them ,i know its been done before on here but could you do a photo account of your starter clutch keep us posted ,david
Hi David, yes I have been offline for a few months due to some idiot dropping a brake disc on his laptop screen, but I'm not saying who it was in case I incriminate myself :? I was just being a tight arse when it came to spending money on myself for a new laptop.
A photo account does sound like a good idea but the starter clutch replacement will be on my "TO DO" list, right at the back of the queue behind doing the brakes on my car, repointing the back of the house, rebuilding two Honda engines, rebuilding a 650 Honda, plaster daughters bedroom etc.... if I'm really lucky I may get it done this year!
David Richard

Post by David Richard »

yep thats life ,good luck with the plastering ,dave
Shedman

Post by Shedman »

David Richard wrote:yep thats life ,good luck with the plastering ,dave
Cheers Dave, I can plaster but by the time I've done I always end up looking like an explosion at a pink ice cream factory :cry:
David Richard

Post by David Richard »

briliant i can just picture it