center stand

For all your mechanical queries, or for sharing your mechanical know-how. Also used for arguing about which oil to use...
sheepheerder

center stand

Post by sheepheerder »

hi folks. was wondering if someone with an 1100 take a picture of there center stand stop for me and post it here. My center stand stopper is letting my stand come up too far so it rubs on the chain and rests against the exhaust. In the parts diagram it doesnt even show it. I am wondering if every other one is the same or not. I am thinking of modifying this one and just curious.
thanks.
hugojose

Re: center stand

Post by hugojose »

Have a 750, so won't post a picture but......Over 15 years ago, I took a thick rubber cap which found lying around, glued it to the bottom of rubber stop, and is still there giving about 12mm (1/2 inch) extra clearance. I thought would mention it if useful, otherwise, ignore it.
sheepheerder

Post by sheepheerder »

I was going to attach a piece of something to it with some kind of rubber stopper. Its just a piece of flat steel that bent over to catch the stand and bolted to the stand mount bolt. I dont understand why the parts diagrams on kawasaki.com dont show it. I was curious to see if there all like that or somtheing different.
hugojose

Post by hugojose »

Maybe I don't understand your question. I thought you were talking about the rubber damper on the bottom of left exhaust can, against which the center stand foot extension comes to rest IN THE UP POSITION. Keeping the clearance with chain and exhaust.

That would be part 92075-1002. If not, I don't understand...and somebody else might.
b_v2000

Post by b_v2000 »

Here’s a shot of my center stand in the up position. After taking it apart for a Kerker 4-1 install (thought it was a necessary step per the instructions to later realize it would’ve been fine left alone) I referenced the OEM diagram in putting it back together. Diagram is vague but the stand works just fine this way.
Attachments
C32B01A3-8745-4A13-A2F1-C8C1B6B7200D.jpeg
sheepheerder

Post by sheepheerder »

Thats perfect thanks very much. Yours is extended lower on the rear side where it stops the stand. mine is not and is level with the side allowing the stand to come up to far. I think im going to add a piece of steel to mine and bolt it on the end. Thanks so much for the picture. I still dont understand why kawasaki parts diagrams dont even list that part and isnt even on the picture of the center stand. weird. But thanks again
dudenukem

Post by dudenukem »

as it is a centre stand thread - was there one on the 550 models? I got mine without :)
fleet: Zephyr 550 B2, GT550, ER-5 Twister
Jen-etc

Post by Jen-etc »

I don’t believe the 550s came with one which is annoying. I was wondering about retrofitting one on my 550 but now I have a paddock stand at home it seems less necessary. Would be really useful though! :lol:
Stereordinary

Post by Stereordinary »

My 550 also did not come with a center stand, so I'm also quite sure none of them did. Weird thing is though, they do have a loop welded to the frame where you might think a center stand spring would attach. I recently was given a center stand off of a Zephyr 1100, and would like to fit it to my 550, but doesn't look like there's really any way to do it.
A breeze from the west.
hugojose

Post by hugojose »

The main reason the 550 did not come with center stand was probable the 4 into 1 exhaust. It was more like the "sports bike" of the three Zephyrs....light and nimble.

The 750 has two tabs welded on the rear down frame cross member for bolting on the stand. The right tab has a stud for the spring. The left exhaust can has detent for the stand 'pedal', and a a welded bracket for a rubber stop/rest which also acts as 'tensioner' so it won't rattle up and down.

I know the Zephyrs were conceived as 'retro' bikes, 30 years ago, but the center stand has become more of an anachronism, ..it adds weight, and frankly, other than dealing with a bad rear complete flat on the road, it has little purpose, except maintenance at home, and here, a rear lift would do.

...but still, everything is possible, (although may not be practical). If it has the tabs on the rear cross member, may not be too difficult although you may need a different exhaust.....and maybe look into the center stand of a KZ550.