91 550 custom restoration

Document your ongoing rebuilds and restorations here
Jen-etc

Re: 91 550 custom restoration

Post by Jen-etc »

Eesh that sounds like a nightmare. Stop making me nervous with all these extra issues! :lol:

I'm running the old wiring loom. I've got the wiring diagram and I sat there last night trying to make head and tail of it all! Worked out the old system, now I've got to work out the new one and how to wire the old wires to fit the new terminals. I've kinda allocated this weekend for electrics. But my plans always go out of the window so we'll see!

The new headlight works fine as thats plug and play, so worst case scenario I'll just whack all the old stuff on just to get it on the road for now, I'd be really disappointed if I have to do that, but needs must.

I've got a voltmeter on the bike too - would that highlight the overcharging issues you talk of? I'm guessing it would show a high reading?
Jen-etc

Post by Jen-etc »

So this wiring is proving to be confusing.

Can't get out in the shed at the moment so thought I'd try and work it out on paper first. Not an easy feat.

The new one is, of course, in terrible translated Chinese to English. The wiring key doesn't match at all (BL=black B=blue?! But then the terminal drawing shows BK and BL?!)

My plan was to disconnect the connectors off the new terminals and make new blocks to connect to the old ones. Not sure if this is possible now. Hopefully it'll be easier with the wires in front of me.
Attachments
Starting to regret this decision!
Starting to regret this decision!
Fishrider

Post by Fishrider »

If the colors are not lining up, you can just use a couple of wires and either the bike battery, another battery, or other 12v source like a DC wall wart type plug to test each connection on the speedo. I have a slight red/green deficiency, so testing wires is almost always necessary. Because you won't be using the gear wires you can just bundle those up and put them out of the way. That reduces the clutter a bit. The original harness colors should line up correctly with your diagram if you got that out of the Kawasaki manual. I have the diagrams from the manual, as well as the Hanes diagrams if you need them.
Jen-etc

Post by Jen-etc »

Thanks!

I think when I get out there later and have a look it will make much more sense. A couple just look a bit confusing but I work much better with things physically in front of me so why I thought paper planning was a good idea I don't know!

How did you do your tacho? YouTube seems to mostly suggest off the coil but some say positive some say negative, and others say take it right back from way before the coil. (My mind's gone blank to the name of the part now, the signal sender bit to the coil lol!)

That's my most worrying bit so far as Ive for no way of knowing if my reading is accurate or not without the bike running yet.
Jen-etc

Post by Jen-etc »

Haven’t updated for a while but have been doing bits!

Lots of cosmetic bits, cleaning and painting corroded/rusty bits around the front end mostly. As all the dials and lights are off it gave a good opportunity to clean that all up. Restored the ignition and resprayed tired looking bits like the mirror mounts etc. little touches that have really tidied the whole thing up. Also got the exhaust clean of all the old paint but it was too rusty to shine up, so I treated all the rust and am now slowly layering up thin layers of extremely high temp paint over the manifold. I know this’ll be a regular occurrence going forward as it’ll never stay long term, but I’ve done the best to protect and tidy up the exhaust as possible now.

I think I’ve cracked the dial and lighting wiring, now I just have to actually install it all! (See the electrical forum)

A friend came over to give me a hand and we got a tonne of little bits done, got the new braided brake lines on, connected up throttle cables, and finally got the carbs all seated, thanks to the last two new rubber boots from the air box that I begrudgingly purchased! Tried to connect the fuel lines for a start up but I’d bought too narrow pipe and it wouldn’t fit. What size pipe should it be?

We also got the clutch kinda sorted. It’s a bit old and seized but we freed it up and hoping it’ll free even more once used … :?
We were having trouble getting it up into 2nd but it went in the end. Didn’t pull the clutch apart so hoping it’s all ok….

Other than that I’ve got a few rounded screws (previous owner) that I now need to get out to do things such as the chain.

Once the fuel pipe is fitted I can have a go at getting it started… but I’ve been saying that for weeks….

Definitely getting closer each day. Just got to keep up the momentum.
Richard

Post by Richard »

With each post the exitement builds up more and more, will it run...?
I hope so :P

Do make a recording I would say ;)
To share afterwards...
Stereordinary

Post by Stereordinary »

Been following along, just slammed with work, so apologies for not contributing more. Keep it coming please!
A breeze from the west.
Jen-etc

Post by Jen-etc »

Hehe the build up has been too great... It'll be a massive anti climax and won't start now!

Currently having a weekend away with the family but still got my mind permanently on my bike :lol:

I'm getting that horrible sick to my stomach feeling now about getting it finished. All positive thoughts are appreciated!
Richard

Post by Richard »

Well, to be honest, mine didn't start well the first time when it should have :? . Make sure you have fresh fuel and give those carbs some time to get used to fuel again ;)

And even now, when the bike has been off for a while it is a very bad starter, starts on a few cylinders at first (shortly) untill they all kick in. I need to choke always and adjust it's lever to keep it running (or keep it from stalling). It's always been like that... :roll:

Enjoy your family weekend :!:
Jen-etc

Post by Jen-etc »

Couple of little updates,

Got the new dial on and the headlight. Still lots of wiring to do with all of this though...

My friend had finished my seat and I'm clown away by how good it looks! I'll get it back tomorrow so will get to see it "in the flesh"!
Attachments
Absolutely beautiful job in the seat by my friend
Absolutely beautiful job in the seat by my friend
New headlight with new dial
New headlight with new dial