D1 Problems Running

For all your mechanical queries, or for sharing your mechanical know-how. Also used for arguing about which oil to use...
shaunf

D1 Problems Running

Post by shaunf »

Hi Guys,

Long time member but just lurker these days.

I have a 750 D1 which has been laid up for a few months in my garage and not ridden much in the last 12 months. I have been regularly starting it up and letting it idle for a few minutes once a week but now I'm having some issues which I'm wondering if it could be carb related or something else and what should I do to try and resolve the problem.

I can start the bike up using the full choke but the engine dies as soon as the choke is half opened or completely off. Is there anything I can do or check before I contemplate pulling out the carbs (something I've not done before) and having them and their parts checked over and cleaned etc

cheers,

Shaun
David Richard

Re: D1 Problems Running

Post by David Richard »

hi i would thats a problem with the motor being started to much and not being run properly i bet the plugs are super sooted up i would maybee drain the fuel out of the tank and carbs for a winter lay up it will sit quite happy ,you need to give it a good run it will be fine
shaunf

Post by shaunf »

Thanks David, yes the plugs are sooted up alright, if I change the plugs and put in some clean fuel do you think it should start alright?
David Richard

Post by David Richard »

hi yes nothing has changed with it apart from being sooty it will clear ,its rather like using a car for very short journeys over and over they dont like it ,
shaunf

Post by shaunf »

cleaned the plugs and managed to get the bike running once with the choke off but it was running pretty rough, tried again the next day and back to the original problem.
andye

Post by andye »

I would clean the plugs again and take it for a good run. Starting it for a few minutes is not really a good idea. If you are going to run it you need to get it thoroughly up to temp and running without choke.
If you're still having problems with sooty plugs, check the Pilot screws, they can vibrate loose. You may need to adjust the mixture slightly. (3 carbs easy to do, the one above the cam chain tensioner is a pig unless you have the right angled driver or 10 inch triple jointed fingers ). Also fresh fuel is a good idea especially if you've put standard E10 in it, goes off after a few months.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Probably related to fuel being contaminated with water. Like suggested, empty the tanks and bowls if you store the bike for a longer period. If not water will accumilate underneath in the tank and will cause all kinds of issues. Why not take it for a regular spin, and put some fresh fuel in the tank before. I expect things will go a lot smoother after such a ride...