550 Zephyr 1991 B2 UK bike recommission after stored a few y

Document your ongoing rebuilds and restorations here
Stereordinary

Re: 550 Zephyr 1991 B2 UK bike recommission after stored a few y

Post by Stereordinary »

Fascinating! Tell me, because I’m kind of a n00b to riding motorcycles in general, but how did you know that the clutch was slipping at 7000 rpms? Like, what was the bike doing that made you suspect that?

I ask because my bike has a weird lagging feeling that I’ve only just recently noticed, and I’m wondering what it is.
A breeze from the west.
linuxrob

Post by linuxrob »

Simply put, at 7000 rpm in low gears with a lot of throttle the revs go up rapidly and road speed stays the same.
Stereordinary

Post by Stereordinary »

That makes sense!
A breeze from the west.
linuxrob

Post by linuxrob »

Clutch refitted with new plates and springs, thicker plain late fitted as first plain plate as per the manual. New clutch springs needle bearing and bush, also new 6001 clutch release bearing. New gasket then new oil and filter.

carbs given a good strip and ultrasonic clean at 60C for 3 30 minute sessions, washed, blown out, sprayed with carb cleaner then blown out again. Pilot mixture (fuel) screw set to 2 1/4 turn out as per European spec. treat them to new float bowl screws (M4 X16mm) finally float height set around 17mm and double checked with my clear tube and found the the fuel level within spec- just under the gasket face.
float level ok.JPG
cleaned and new screws.JPG
Engine started easy and warmed up quick, on the road the 1st to 2nd gear change is a sooth as the rest now with no play in the clutch rubbers, also NO clutch slip.. Will give it a 100 miles or so and balance carbs. a very good day.