Aesthetic opinions needed for horn mount

Introduce yourself, share your heroic Zephyr tales, put the world to rights, gossip, etc.
ZR468

Aesthetic opinions needed for horn mount

Post by ZR468 »

Folks, I mounted a Steble Air Horn on where the helmet lock was, just in front of the rear shock. I am not sure how I feel about the look of it. Does it look too busy? Does it take away the original clean look? Or does it look mechanically beefed up? Give me your thoughts.
At first, I was hoping to install the horn under the gas tank, but found out it might be too hot for the air horn.
Thanks, Kenny
Attachments
image.jpeg
David Richard

Re: Aesthetic opinions needed for horn mount

Post by David Richard »

hi that looks like a very well looked after bike ,I never really thought the horn was a problem sound wise ,but no it looks ok .I have a 78 Honda 750 f2 which has 2 horns as standard under the headlight which does sound deeper,how long have you owned your bike ,david
ZR468

Post by ZR468 »

David, I owned it since March 2017. It is a 1992 ZR750. It was kept in a garage unused for the past 10 years. Lots of surface rusty. Took a lot of elbow grease to polish it out. Installed new dual sport tires. I had a repair shop recomissioned the engine and the brakes. It had 21,000km on it. I put on 4,000 km so far. A super fun bike to ride.
The tough part about getting this bike was that it didn't have any ownership paper. Took lots of time and research to register the title.
This bike is so quiet, I really need a loud horn to navigate in the city, too many people texting and not doing shoulder checks. Thank you for your input, so the air horn does not look out of place to you.
Kenny
David Richard

Post by David Richard »

hi no go with the horn ,can I ask if in Canada what is the petrol situation with methanol content,in the uk we have about 5 per cent ,if you have to park it up make sure you drain the carbs completely and I would try and get all the fuel out of the tank as you know they do rust out if left I'm sure your winters are worst than ours its a full time job looking after them,david
ZR468

Post by ZR468 »

We have up to 10% of ethernol in our gasoline. Ethernol is not good for old style engines, I am looking at the stores to find somekind of cleaning additive in add to a tank of gas every now and then. Yes, Canadian winter can be harsh. Luckily, we live in the coastal area of British Columbia. The climate is temperate, very much like London. Rains a lot in the winter. Only snow sometimes. I'll be riding the ZR all year around.
Thank you for the tip.
Kenny
David Richard

Post by David Richard »

hi ok that's not a problem for you if ride all year ,I put all mine in corrodem bags for the winter till march,its been said we will move to 10 per cent soon.what bikes did you run pre this,david
ZR468

Post by ZR468 »

My other bike is a 2007 ST1300 aka Pan European. I owned since 2009. It is my interprovincial or interstate bike. It is getting too heavy for me. The problem with the ST is the fuel injection, it is factory set too lean, hard to make a smooth takeoff and slow maneuver. The carborated ZR throttle is smooth and predictable. I feel like I am riding a bicycle when on the ZR except I don't need to paddle. The ST will be winterized and garaged till next April.
Kenny
David Richard

Post by David Richard »

hi yes I can imagine someone said its like a big giant hand pushing down the road on a zephyr good luck david
ZR468

Post by ZR468 »

Well, I decided David was right. The Steble Air Horn didn't look so good mounted next to the rear shock. So I splited it into 2 sections. I mounted the air compressor behind the right side panel and the horn section behind the left panel. I connected them with a clear poly air hose. Took a lot of finicky drummel work and test fitting. I should have brought a split system right from the start, mind you it would have been twice the money. Now the air horn is invisible. I had fun doing it.
All is left to do now is to remove the gas tank and connect the trigger wires to the existing horn. Will wait for a days before removing the gas tank, I have to psych up to this task, it will be my first time doing it.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

ZR468 wrote:Will wait for a days before removing the gas tank, I have to psych up to this task, it will be my first time doing it.
Summary procedure before sliding back and away.

2 bolts to undo (rear tank)
4 hoses to pull off (2 on fuel tap, one front right corner on fuel sender unit, one rear right corner)
1 electrical connector to disconnect (fuel gauge right side under tank about level with the carbies)
2 metal tabs to bend back to free electrical wire and hose (right hand underside of tank)

Piece of cake ...... much easier when nearly empty, just because it's lighter.