New Z900RS

Introduce yourself, share your heroic Zephyr tales, put the world to rights, gossip, etc.
Rob@TZP

Re: New Z900RS

Post by Rob@TZP »

I whole-heartedly agree. If you want the look of an old bike 100%, you have to have an old bike. If you want the performance of a new bike, well....certain items will look new because...um...they're not old lol. Same reason I have a distaste for the thruxton-hipster riders around here with pristine beards and open face helmets on their way to partake in smashed avacado on turkish bread with their soy latte...but they have to have something 'retro' TO BE SEEN on....much like most modern harley riders!!
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Rob@TZP wrote:I whole-heartedly agree. If you want the look of an old bike 100%, you have to have an old bike. If you want the performance of a new bike, well....certain items will look new because...um...they're not old lol. Same reason I have a distaste for the thruxton-hipster riders around here with pristine beards and open face helmets on their way to partake in smashed avacado on turkish bread with their soy latte...but they have to have something 'retro' TO BE SEEN on....much like most modern harley riders!!
Can you imagine rocking up to a vintage car crew and saying 'Hey guys I've just bough a brand new Model T Ford replica from the dealers' .... Sure to impress :roll:

I clearly love old restored bikes. Nothing better than seeing a beautifully restored smoking 2 stroke complete with race pipes taking off, smokier the better. Nothing wrong with a new modern component bike with traditional styling (same way bikes have fundamentally looked for the most part of 100 years). But paying top dollar for a new bike, complete with obsolete technologies no different to the original, that I do not get.

Hey I really want cable activated single leading shoe drum brakes on the front, how cool would that be .....
Wag

Post by Wag »

Freddy wrote:
Rob@TZP wrote:I whole-heartedly agree. If you want the look of an old bike 100%, you have to have an old bike. If you want the performance of a new bike, well....certain items will look new because...um...they're not old lol. Same reason I have a distaste for the thruxton-hipster riders around here with pristine beards and open face helmets on their way to partake in smashed avacado on turkish bread with their soy latte...but they have to have something 'retro' TO BE SEEN on....much like most modern harley riders!!
Can you imagine rocking up to a vintage car crew and saying 'Hey guys I've just bough a brand new Model T Ford replica from the dealers' .... Sure to impress :roll:

I clearly love old restored bikes. Nothing better than seeing a beautifully restored smoking 2 stroke complete with race pipes taking off, smokier the better. Nothing wrong with a new modern component bike with traditional styling (same way bikes have fundamentally looked for the most part of 100 years). But paying top dollar for a new bike, complete with obsolete technologies no different to the original, that I do not get.

Hey I really want cable activated single leading shoe drum brakes on the front, how cool would that be .....
HOHO. I've got a Thruxton R(no beard) and a vrod and consider myself uncool .The thrux is for sale ,to leave room for the zeph11 I just buyed . The only thing about getting the new z or thrux' is, it wont be rare .
However, down 'yer in Exmouth, most models are rare !
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Wag wrote:The only thing about getting the new z or thrux' is, it wont be rare .
It make take many years for your Thurxton R to become rare, but it will always be a lovely looking desirable to many motorcycle. Always.

Let's wait and see how well the current crop of transformer or fugley adventure bikes stand the test of time. Personally I reckon they'll be as sort after as 'streamline' 2000? model sports bike with a rectangular head light.

This one is always good to post on a Ducati forum when they start rabbiting on endlessly about the wonders and superiority of 'Italian Design' .....

P.S. It sort of appeals to my warped sense of humor to buy the above bike and join a Ducati only riders club...... Reckon it could be a real hoot!
Rob@TZP

Post by Rob@TZP »

That is SO something I'd do!! Great idea!
andye

Post by andye »

It's funny, when I was a lad in the early eighties, everything was going to be sleek, modern & futuristic. Technology was here we were leaving the 70's behind.
Now we have arrived in the future, everything from the eighties look so old fashioned, clunky & downright strange.
Not sure what happened, do you think in 10 years time the eighties will be back in fashion and Ducati will launch a Paso classic :lol:
Wag

Post by Wag »

andye wrote:It's funny, when I was a lad in the early eighties, everything was going to be sleek, modern & futuristic. Technology was here we were leaving the 70's behind.
Now we have arrived in the future, everything from the eighties look so old fashioned, clunky & downright strange.
Not sure what happened, do you think in 10 years time the eighties will be back in fashion and Ducati will launch a Paso classic :lol:
Without a doubt.Everything comes back around . When us 57year olds were21 , the short back and sides, with a long beard brigade would have been laughed out of town . I can't wait for high wasters to come back in. I tried to get some for a 70s do,about 10 years ago and there weren't any, anywhere. Look at the current trend in kids names !
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

I follow a few general discussion motorcycle forums, and its interesting how this new Z900RS has ignited quite a number of threads on 'retro' bikes. Why it takes to be a retro bike, what bikes are 'retro', who wants to buy which retro, etc, etc.

What I found the most interesting is all it seems for a motorcycle to be classified a 'retro' these days, is to have a round headlight. I'm serious.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Well... At least that means mine is retro ;)
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Richard wrote:Well... At least that means mine is retro ;)
What else other than a round headlight makes this a 'retro' motorcycle ......