New Z900RS

Introduce yourself, share your heroic Zephyr tales, put the world to rights, gossip, etc.
Rob@TZP

Re: New Z900RS

Post by Rob@TZP »

Yeah 'Retro' Vs 'Classic Styling'. If it was really retro I'd expect Carbs. ...at least. 'Classic Styling' is a much better way to appropriately describe them.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Freddy wrote:
Richard wrote:Well... At least that means mine is retro ;)
What else other than a round headlight makes this a 'retro' motorcycle ......

Well to me it should be at least a naked bike where the engine is fully visible.
But I see what you mean ;)
Wag

Post by Wag »

I think they look quite decent , on the whole, that gang of bikes. Although I think they spoiled the xjr when they chopped the back end .
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Wag wrote:I think they look quite decent , on the whole, that gang of bikes. Although I think they spoiled the xjr when they chopped the back end .
Around Sydney I never see a single one of Yamaha's 'Sport Heritage' range on the road, never. Last time I saw an XJR1300 was maybe about 5 years ago. It was second-hand and for sale in a dealers yard.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Just looking at the Zephyr I recently see more bikes on the market for increasing prices, it seems the first owners are selling now because of age and there seems to be more demand from younger drivers looking for original naked bikes. And then there are a lot of sellers just selling Zephyr parts meaning many bikes have been taken of the road and became dismantled. Not sure if this is just for my region though...
Wag

Post by Wag »

Richard wrote:Just looking at the Zephyr I recently see more bikes on the market for increasing prices, it seems the first owners are selling now because of age and there seems to be more demand from younger drivers looking for original naked bikes. And then there are a lot of sellers just selling Zephyr parts meaning many bikes have been taken of the road and became dismantled. Not sure if this is just for my region though...
I just paid quite a lot for one , but it was just how I wanted it (and I have more money now), but I am selling another bike to cover the cost. I think the zephyr looks much better than z1s , but they aren't as ' cool' yet.

It will be interesting to see if kwak restrict production to keep z900rs demand high .
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Wag wrote:
Richard wrote:It will be interesting to see if kwak restrict production to keep z900rs demand high .
They don't need to restrict production, because if you overprice the Z900RS which I believe they have done (certainly in Australia), you aren't going to sell a lot.

The Z900RS is selling out the door for A$18,000 near enough. That's A$5,000 more than a Z900. It's dearer than a GSX-S1000F for example. The best the sales floor staff can come up to justify the current price is 'its cheaper than a BMW R9T'. Big deal. And because the price has been set by Kawasaki no dealer will discount it.

They are going to find they are stuck between a rock and a hard place with the current pricing. Old cashed up baby boomers didn't get to that financial position being frivolous with their money, and young 'hipsters' are either broke, or if they have money are not going to buy a Japanese motorcycle. That's so uncool.

Riding the Zephyr on the week-end I was asking myself is a Z900RS going to go $18,000 better than this. Given the work I've put into the suspension, maybe initially not even as good handling wise. Upon discovering the bike was $1500 more than the high expectation price I had in mind (and the dealer thought it was going to be in that ballpark as well) I've asked for my deposit back, which the dealer has agreed to do. I may still buy one, but I'm no longer in any hurry. I don't think they'll be flying out the dealers showrooms at the current price.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Well if no one is buying than prices will drop eventually, it's buyers that decide the price at the end and this is certainly true when the bike is too expensive. We'll see what happens. I checked if I could find a price in the Netherlands but its still to be announced. :roll:
Wag

Post by Wag »

I just found a uk price of £10200, which is lower than I expected(excuse I if that's already been mentioned ) . That's 2k less than a Thruxton R !
p.s , my thrux is on mcn sales ! no phone calls yet, and it's the cheapest one, last time I looked .I've got a dealer offer too.
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Wag wrote:I just found a uk price of £10200, which is lower than I expected(excuse I if that's already been mentioned ) . That's 2k less than a Thruxton R !
p.s , my thrux is on mcn sales ! no phone calls yet, and it's the cheapest one, last time I looked .I've got a dealer offer too.
A Thuxton R has fully adjustable Ohlins front and back. So there alone is a $2k difference. So basically comparing 'apples with apples' the Thruxton R and the Z900rs are essentially the same price.