Renewing my introduction from The Netherlands

Introduce yourself, share your heroic Zephyr tales, put the world to rights, gossip, etc.
Richard

Renewing my introduction from The Netherlands

Post by Richard »

I'm really happy we're back online again. Thank you very much Steve for all the hard work building this new forum using phpBB software. As I'm the owner of another forum I know it takes a lot of effort setting things up and making it work.

Anyway, back to my renewal... ;)

My name is Richard Schulting living in the Netherlands, age 58 (1959) employed at Citrix Systems as Network Systems Engineer. I own a Zephyr ZR750C1, bought it a year ago in an awfull condition (I know now after some serious restoration work).

Although I did ride motor bikes while being young in the previous century without any license :oops: it really started again for me when I passed my exam together with my son Rick back in March 2012 at age 53, call it my second live or not I really enjoyed riding ever since.

I started with a Kawasaki LTD 305 chopper model with 25kW so my son could ride it as well. The one below is not mine, lost my pictures at a hard disk crash...

Few years later when Rick had his own bike I bought this bigger Kawasaki 750 LTD

And last year July 2016 I decided to get a non chopper model as I started to dislike the steering. Looked around for a while as I wanted sort of the same engine also naked and then I found this Kawasaki Zephyr 750 for some 800 Euro

I started a new restoration topic where I will describe my experiences from beginning to end.
Click to visit Richard's ZR750C1 Restoration Project
Last edited by Richard on 09 Sep 2017, 19:41, edited 3 times in total.
Stu

Re: Renewing my introduction from The Netherlands

Post by Stu »

Aaaah... beaten by the Dutchman. Seems you've been here by yourself for ten days!

Welcome back, all... and yes, thanks to Steve for all the hard work to get us back online.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Sorry Stu...

I'm running my own forum using the same software so I offered Steve some help in testing and so on.

But very happy we're online again ;)
Stu

Post by Stu »

I guessed the clue may lie in "Network Systems Engineer" :D
Richard

Post by Richard »

Being technical would be enough I guess :mrgreen:
Stu

Post by Stu »

I'm fairly technical, with a long career in Mechanical Engineering behind me in Aircraft, Mining and now Rail. I wouldn't have a clue about setting up a forum, though!

I'm a year older than you by the way; 1958 model.

My C1 looked remarkably similar to yours before I tore it apart, right down to the colour. Very tatty condition though. I planned to ride it for a while and see what needed doing to it, but the answer was "far too much to live with". I maybe rode it 30 miles before it was stripped.
Attachments
IMG_20160325_112841.jpg
IMG_20160325_112841.jpg (188.61 KiB) Viewed 6491 times
Richard

Post by Richard »

Well yes, I should have been more precise I guess. I've been in Electronic Engineering for a few years but as soon as the first PC's appeared I changed into PC repairs. Somewhere around 2000 I made my last career change and became a Network Systems Engineer at Cisco and lately doing the same at Citrix.

Your bike was a bit lighter blue but sure I recognize the hand full while riding it ;)
I mounted a couple of Öhlins shocks last week and boy what a difference that makes :!:
Last edited by Richard on 29 Sep 2017, 21:09, edited 1 time in total.
Stu

Post by Stu »

That paint job was an aerosol job, done by a blind chap. it was thick and gooey; I stripped it right back to bare metal/plastic. Some Peugeot colour, I think.

I didn't feel the need to splash out on Ohlins... I bought a pair of these:

http://www.shock-factory.co.uk/2winshocks.html

Except they are made by Protech, a company literally 400m from my office, then shipped to Shock Factory in France. I bought them from the guy that makes them. Two advantages - firstly they were somewhat cheaper and best of all they didn't come with the stupid "2win" name on them! Badges read "Protech" instead. Very light aluminium construction, adjustable damping, and a promise to swap the springs if the rate is wrong... 8-)
Attachments
shocks.jpg
shocks.jpg (76.87 KiB) Viewed 6483 times