750 strange oil leak? HELP!..

For all your mechanical queries, or for sharing your mechanical know-how. Also used for arguing about which oil to use...
Curt

750 strange oil leak? HELP!..

Post by Curt »

Iv got a 1991 750 with a oil leak. Its coming from what looks like 2 small weep holes on the left hand side of the head in the casting. One below each cam. I cant find any information on what they are for? :oops:
Freddy

Re: 750 strange oil leak? HELP!..

Post by Freddy »

Are you describing the holes for the 4 very outer valve cover bolts, one under each outer cam bearing, both sides. These are the open threaded holes for the hex chrome head valve cover bolts.

If so, these threaded holes are open at the bottom, so the 4 very outer hex drive valve cover head bolts are supposed to be installed with little medium strength thread locker to seal them.
hugojose

Post by hugojose »

.....adding to Fredddy's,....in mine the very outer bolts are actually allen bolts, not hex, and go flush on the cover, and I use plain thread sealer, not locker, but of course when it hardens acts as very mild locker.....

....even without a sealer, I would not call it oil leak with the bolt in, more like a seep.
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

hugojose wrote:.....adding to Fredddy's,....in mine the very outer bolts are actually allen bolts, not hex, and go flush on the cover, and I use plain thread sealer, not locker, but of course when it hardens acts as very mild locker.....

....even without a sealer, I would not call it oil leak with the bolt in, more like a seep.
Mine are also allen heads, just gave them the wrong name. Sometimes I forget my own name. :lol:
Curt

Post by Curt »

Thats exactly whats going on! I just pulled one out and I could see straight through. Easy fix....Thanks guys.. :D