Chain Slack 750

For all your mechanical queries, or for sharing your mechanical know-how. Also used for arguing about which oil to use...
Freddy

Chain Slack 750

Post by Freddy »

Don't know if I've commented on this before ........
Just completed an 'half-service' which is mostly just oil at half way between a complete service every 10K kilometres. In the process decided to adjust the chain. Even aware that it has to be be looser than the factory specification, set it and then checked it across the full suspension travel. Tight as a drum in the very bottom of the suspension travel. So loosened it up some more.

Chains last much longer since I've been setting it WAY looser than the factory specification. But the main reason is so a tight chain doesn't 'choke' the suspension travel. I set it so there is just next to no slack at the very bottom of the suspension travel. Put the bike on the side stand, sit on it backward and stand it up, then reach down and grab the rear swing arm and bear-hug the suspension right down to the bottom of its travel. Then check the chain slack. Easier with 2 people but I manage to do it by myself. Set to factory spec the chain will be as tight as a drum from half way onward in the suspension travel. Not good.
Eddie

Re: Chain Slack 750

Post by Eddie »

Must admit I always err on the loose side, the only problem with a slack chain on my ktm is it "slaps" on the swingarm as it runs quite close, still better than tight though

Cheers eddie
92 Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
78 Kawasaki Z1000a2
10 KTM 990 SMT
76 Yamaha XT500 supermoto
80 Honda Z50R Monkey