First gear 'CLUNK'

For all your mechanical queries, or for sharing your mechanical know-how. Also used for arguing about which oil to use...
Swampy

Re: First gear 'CLUNK'

Post by Swampy »

TerryG wrote:Oops!
Getting worse.
. .
^
Sorry to hear this Terry, as Freddy mentioned deff don't bother with a second hand one, unless you can check it first to see if there's any moment... I haven't checked but are new ones still available and if so what price are they ? Best of luck what ever you decide !
Swamps :)
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Swampy wrote:are new ones still available and if so what price are they ?
Looks like new ones are still available for c models, didn't check D models, price .... (are you sitting down) 370 Euro (plus delivery), so around 400 Euro. Alternatively recondition of your existing one if the guy who supplies the rubbers and the documented procedure is still doing it, something like 50 Euro. Would require a reasonable home workshop e.g. drill press, to do a decent job.
hugojose

Post by hugojose »

I have changed all three rubber dampers on the drive line; Secondary shaft, clutch basket, and rear hub. All of them were hardened, shrunk, and allowing play. These bikes are getting old, and there is no doubt in my mind, that close to 100% owners checking these will find play.

..The dampers in the clutch baskets do same jobs are those little metal springs seen on dry and other wet clutches...and after a while, of course the rubber will harden and 'shrink.

In the US only the basket for the 750 could be sourced new from the ZR-7 although part number is different, though seemingly identical.

I did replace the rubber damper on mine, and yes, drilling the rivets are the most difficult part. It requires a lot of patience and care. The replacement bolts, 6x 20 in my case, also have to be of very very flat head. I believe no more than 1.5 mm.
gazzz

Post by gazzz »

My tutorial of clutch basket damper replacement. Did it to the KZ650 clutch basket, but it's all the same with Zephyr 750 (however KZ650 has no gasket under the riveted cover).

https://www.gazzz-garage.com/2019/08/29 ... t-dampers/
TerryG

Post by TerryG »

Swampy wrote:
Getting worse.
. .
^
Sorry to hear this Terry, as Freddy mentioned deff don't bother with a second hand one, unless you can check it first to see if there's any moment... I haven't checked but are new ones still available and if so what price are they ? Best of luck what ever you decide !
As a total novice 'engine wise', anyone care to pop over to Brecon and do this for me? Only joking, sort of
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

TerryG wrote:
Swampy wrote:
Getting worse.
. .
^
As a total novice 'engine wise', anyone care to pop over to Brecon and do this for me? Only joking, sort of
If you have the right tools, getting the clutch basket off/on isn't all that difficult a job. I'd call it an 'intermediate' level job, WITH THE RIGHT TOOLS.
That includes an impact gun, torque wrench, and a specialized clutch basket holding tool. Rest is just basic decent quality common hand tools. Just buy a genuine workshop manual, lots generally for sale on EBay, and take careful note how it all comes apart. Reassembly is just exact the same in reverse.

You can't really go wrong with that bit as long as you have an aptitude for mechanical things, and take care.

That's the easy bit. A machine shop is probably best in your circumstances to do the basket rebuild.