ZR-7's Are they Zephyr's or what?

Introduce yourself, share your heroic Zephyr tales, put the world to rights, gossip, etc.
Shedman

ZR-7's Are they Zephyr's or what?

Post by Shedman »

I keep seeing Kawasaki ZR-7's for sale described as Zephyr's. In my mind they are not Zephyr's, no where on them is the word "Zephyr", they are a ZR-7 750 Kawasaki. They don't even look like Zephyr's, they were introduced after the Zephyr's stopped being sold outside of Japan. So what do you guys think? Zephyr or not? :roll:
hugojose

Re: ZR-7's Are they Zephyr's or what?

Post by hugojose »

The factory named them both ZR750. The difference was the last letter wich describes the year they were made, so the Zephyrs may be like ZR750C (1991), and ZR-7 like ZR750F (2001 or so).

Because of the ZR750 designation many suppliers or vendors think they were same mechanicals with only cosmetic differences.

They were both part of the KZ750-4 line. Zephyr was 'retro', the ZR-7 pressed into service, later on, as stop gap against the liquid cooled Suzuki SV650 in the US until the Versys 650 was released. It was a heavily 'repackaged' Zephyr 750.

The Zephyr 750 is very close to the old KZ750 fours, but the ZR-7 engine was the most revised KZ750-4 engine. With many differences like primary chain tensioner, sprag starting clutch, throttle position sensors, longer drive sprocket shaft, different timing rotor and mounting, very different ignition, and other details reflecting the fact the ZR-7 was brought out almost 10 years after the Zephyrs.

..of course, many parts of the ZR-7 have superseded old parts of the Zephyr, (or KZ750) and provides part supply that may not be available otherwise for the older KZ or Zephyrs,////....but is good to be aware of the differences and that not everything interchanges. The names; Zephyr and Zr-7 are only the marketing names. Trying to fit a ZR-7 engine on Zephyr, although perfectly possible, it would take some tricky modifications to make it work.
Last edited by hugojose on 20 Aug 2020, 22:38, edited 1 time in total.
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Shedman wrote:I keep seeing Kawasaki ZR-7's for sale described as Zephyr's. In my mind they are not Zephyr's, no where on them is the word "Zephyr", they are a ZR-7 750 Kawasaki. They don't even look like Zephyr's, they were introduced after the Zephyr's stopped being sold outside of Japan. So what do you guys think? Zephyr or not? :roll:
No, they are not a Zephyr. HJ has covered the technical differences, but its the 'philosophical' differences that in my mind make them worlds apart. The Zephyr was/is a pretty faithful 'retro' design. The ZR-7 design was a 'modern' design at the point in time.

Being a retro the Zephyr has stood the test of time if well presented for someone that likes the look of that era on motorcycle. The ZR-7 hasn't, and just looks a dated under performing old bike.
Shedman

Post by Shedman »

Thanks for your very informative replies guys! I figured that the engines would be similar in design but I didn't realize there would be so many differences as well. I'm not having a pop at the ZR-7 as a motorcycle as I've never owned or ridden one, what I do take issue with is their appearance when compared to a Zephyr. If I were looking to buy a Zephyr then I would be looking for a Zephyr, not a ZR-7. In my mind they are two completely different motorcycles that both happen to be made by Kawasaki.
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

You could use the BMW 1200 boxer motorcycle range as a good comparison. All essentially use the same 1200 twin opposed cylinder engine with a shaft drive. But various incarnations range from what is classified a sports bike, through to an adventure bike, to a full dress touring bike.