Any idea what these are?

When all the smoke has escaped from inside the wires...
Adam

Any idea what these are?

Post by Adam »

While looking around my bike with the tank off, I saw these two electrical things behind the rectifier.
InkedIMG_20200816_151914_LI.jpg
Maybe I'm being a bit thick, but I can't see what they are on the wiring diagram.
They are not the coils (they are in front of these, under the rectifier), and I can't see anything else that comes in pairs.
Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Freddy

Re: Any idea what these are?

Post by Freddy »

My bike doesn't have them.

Does the 'cap' came off by any chance to reveal a 12V 'cigarette lighter' power socket? Seems an oddball place to put them if they were rather than under the seat, but that's all I can think of.
Adam

Post by Adam »

When I had the tank off and was looking at them, I didn't remove the covers but they didn't appear to come off easily.
They also have 4 wires, not two, which is all that would be needed for a 12v socket.

That other bikes don't have them makes them even more curious.
They look like they have been there a while and are part of the loom - unless they were professionally fitted.

Any other ideas anyone?
bunyip

Post by bunyip »

Do you happen to have an alarm fitted? Could be capacitors in case some villain disconnects your battery.
David Richard

Post by David Richard »

hi adam i feel a bit embarrassed hi have d1 750 and also have seen them but never known yep they just sit there ,im in the uk what bike do you have ,and im puzzeld why freddie d1 does not have them ,someone must know ,i will have a look on cradleys part list this evening ,david
Shedman

Post by Shedman »

Hi guy's, they are the carb heater relays, I've got some spare if anyone wants them.
David Richard

Post by David Richard »

ah that makes sense i did look on cmsl but didnt find them ,if we lived in a nice warm country you could junk them ,i will be putting mine away in a few weeks time ,thanks shedman
Adam

Post by Adam »

bunyip wrote:Do you happen to have an alarm fitted? Could be capacitors in case some villain disconnects your battery.
I have fitted an alarm myself - and it doesn't include capacitors to make it sound with the battery disconnected.
I do think that would be a good idea though.
If a thief can remove the seat, aftermarket alarms are ridiculously easy to disconnect
Adam

Post by Adam »

Shedman wrote:Hi guy's, they are the carb heater relays, I've got some spare if anyone wants them.
Thanks Shedman. They are indeed the relays for the atmospheric and oil temperature sensors for the carb heaters.
This though poses another question.
My bike (if you ask the DVLA, or check the VIN number in the Haynes manual) is a C2.
But, the Haynes manual states carb heaters didn't arrive until the C3 model (page 8.19) and this is backed up by the circuit diagram, which also doesn't add the carb heaters until the C3.
They disappear again for the C5 and D1 models, and the US & Canadian models never had them - despite winters over there being far colder than in the UK.
My Kawasaki workshop manual in for the C1 and makes no reference to them - so doesn't help much.
Very curious!
Adam

Post by Adam »

David Richard wrote:hi adam i feel a bit embarrassed hi have d1 750 and also have seen them but never known yep they just sit there ,im in the uk what bike do you have ,and im puzzeld why freddie d1 does not have them
Thanks David.
You seem to have the same problem I have - the docs say the carb heaters weren't fitted to C2 or D1 models - yet here we both are with bikes that shouldn't have then but in fact do!