Exhaust Header Removal

For all your mechanical queries, or for sharing your mechanical know-how. Also used for arguing about which oil to use...
Swampy

Exhaust Header Removal

Post by Swampy »

I'm going to be removing the complete exhaust system in a few weeks and was after some advice on the job please.
I very much doubt that the headers have ever been removed on my 1994 1100 so just wondered what I should expect, should I just undo the nuts with a socket or should I use an oil like WD40 to soak in beforehand, Would it be more beneficial to try on a hot engine than a cold ?
I know this might be a silly request but I want to avoid breaking any studs if I can :o

When I refit my new system should I use a exhaust gasket sealer? new O rings are on order from Kawasaki....

Swamps :)
David Richard

Re: Exhaust Header Removal

Post by David Richard »

hi swampy sounds a 2 minute job hah ,i would soak as much wd 40 as possible and take it easy with the nuts ,on a 93 c3 i had years ago the nuts undone ok but the collets were seized solid i ended up taking the tank off to get to try and get some movement from the studs they all are very exsposed to all the elements but you might be lucky ,david
Swampy

Post by Swampy »

David Richard wrote:hi swampy sounds a 2 minute job hah ,i would soak as much wd 40 as possible and take it easy with the nuts ,on a 93 c3 i had years ago the nuts undone ok but the collets were seized solid i ended up taking the tank off to get to try and get some movement from the studs they all are very exposed to all the elements but you might be lucky ,david
Yes these 5 minute jobs ay, we all know about them :o
I'm a bit lucky as my bike hasn't been in the rain/bad weather to much in its life and the studs are rust free, its just the fact that they haven't been touched since 1994, I'll give them a good soak before the day and keep me fingers crossed that they drop off :lol:
Thanks very much David :D
pete12000

Post by pete12000 »

Please let us know how it goes? I'm thinking of doing the same on my 93 in the near future, I like the look of stainless Black Widow headers
David Richard

Post by David Richard »

hi swampy thats good she has missed all those years of crud ,you should be fine ,
David Richard

Post by David Richard »

hi pete just a word of caution about the black widow down pipes if they are on a 750 i had a set and it gave the bike a flat spot at 3 k and the balance pipe gets in the way for the oil filter .but if you call the company they say not which is a lie .i sold it after 1 month and got a used set of ebay much better to live with ,david
pete12000

Post by pete12000 »

Thanks David, I'll bear that in mind, it's an 1100, I like the four into two, I've not seen any other supplier of stainless headers, nowt's ever straightforward !!
Swampy

Post by Swampy »

David Richard wrote:hi swampy thats good she has missed all those years of crud ,you should be fine ,
Fingers Crossed :)
Swampy

Post by Swampy »

pete12000 wrote:Please let us know how it goes? I'm thinking of doing the same on my 93 in the near future, I like the look of stainless Black Widow headers
Will do Pete, I have a few days off together from the 6th April, I intend to get the bike on the road then, Its due a service and MOT as its been stored for the last 18 months, then exhaust sorted out just after...
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

You'll be fine swamps, give em a good dose of wd40 the night before and use a quality socket or spanner that's a good tight fit and undo them all evenly working back and forth till their all off together. You won't need any gasket sealants the copper rings will be fine, just tighten all the nuts evenly a bit at a time so the headers are pulled in squarely. From memory I don't think there is a torque setting for the nuts, but basically they don't need to be super tight, think spark plugs! Tight enough to squish the copper gasket... But don't murder it!

Good luck can't wait to see it,

Cheers eddie
92 Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
78 Kawasaki Z1000a2
10 KTM 990 SMT
76 Yamaha XT500 supermoto
80 Honda Z50R Monkey