Richard's ZR750C1 Restoration Project

Document your ongoing rebuilds and restorations here
Richard

Re: Richard's ZR750C1 Restoration Project

Post by Richard »

Well Swamps, it isn't floating in the air or balancing on its center stand :)

I used two tie-down straps, looped them through the rear grip and through the lift-table legs. These straps are strong enough to withstand the front weight and they are adjustable which helps a lot when you mount the front wheel back in place.

Hope I used the correct wording but guess you get the picture?

Will make some pictures in the afternoon and share them to make it more clear...
Swampy

Post by Swampy »

Richard wrote:Well Swamps, it isn't floating in the air or balancing on its center stand :)

I used two tie-down straps, looped them through the rear grip and through the lift-table legs. These straps are strong enough to withstand the front weight and they are adjustable which helps a lot when you mount the front wheel back in place.

Hope I used the correct wording but guess you get the picture?

Will make some pictures in the afternoon and share them to make it more clear...
Thanks Richard, when i posted this yesterday i did save your pic and had a closer look , only then i saw the strap...... Very clever :lol:
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (118.05 KiB) Viewed 4083 times
Swamps :)
Richard

Post by Richard »

Indeed Swampy, you did find the solution of the puzzle after all ;)

As promised I took a picture showing more detail, this is a mock up and you need one at both sides to keep the bike balanced. The biggest advantage to me is you can lower the front to any level which helps a lot when mounting the front wheel.
20210725_142528_comp.jpg
Richard

Post by Richard »

Now some good news about the steering issue I HAD. As mentioned earlier I bought a set of new tires and yes Conti 3, not cheap but as I don't have any experience with tire selection I just followed Freddy's advice and I'm happy I did :lol:
The difference in steering is enormous, I did expect the handling to improve but no way did I expect this. I can virtually take 90 degree corners now without any issue and with very light handling. So thanks Freddy, this was money well spend!

And because I changed the front fender to a red one here are some updated pictures, without rear break though as I still need to paint the caliper but it has to stop raining first as I will be painting outside...
20210725_163550_comp.jpg
20210725_163601_comp.jpg
Richard

Post by Richard »

And since I'm busy posting updates let me ask another question I'm a bit worried about: where does the carter oil go?

I've topped the oil of at exactly half way and some 10 minutes later it was not even visible any more. I'm already half a liter over the recommended 3,5 liter. I ordered another liter and will top it of again up to the H mark and see what happens. This is by the way without riding my bike apart from maybe a few hundred meters around the garage park...

Just to be complete, the engine is not spilling oil. I also removed the alternator and pickup side-covers just to be sure it wasn't leaking oil in that area and there was none to be found.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Maybe this is the answer or at least it seems not to be unique to my bike, did a search on this forum and found this from Freddy (obviously). I still wonder where the oil goes though...
oil-level-after-refreshing-it.JPG
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Good to see your enjoying the Contis. And price wise, even thought that are that bit more expensive (a fare bit compared to some of the cheaper stuff) I've found I get WAY more mileage out of them that any other brand I've tried. And where some of the other brand really drop away in performance past half worn, the Conti's seem to work nearly as well their whole life.

And another way to evaluate the cost of a tyre, I ride with crew who like to go fast. What's the cost of a new bike (and body) if you throw the thing down the road? Even if someone rides conservatively, just knowing the tyres ARE going to stick if that unanticipated reducing radius corner catches you out while you were day dreaming watching the backside of the young lady in leathers on the sportsbike riding in front. If you do throw it down the road, you can't blame the tyres.

That the rear is not a dual compound yet outlasts other dual compound tyres is also interesting. Sort of supports Conti's claim of hardening the center of the tyre by the manufacturing process isn't just marketing spin.

P.S. Can you please send me your new front. Apparently new 120*70*17 fronts (the most commonly used size in the world) aren't going to be available in Australia till November!! Something to do with a global rubber shortage apparently. Probably not a major drama as I can see Sydney getting out of its current covid lock-down till then.
Swampy

Post by Swampy »

Nice one Richard, thanks for letting us in on this, unfortunately I don't have one of these platforms so I wont be doing this but always nice to know :D
Swamps :)
Richard

Post by Richard »

Thanks Swampy!

@Kenny: I could order one and ship it to you but that will probably be way too expensive unless you need a dozen or so :lol:
Richard

Post by Richard »

Richard wrote:Maybe this is the answer or at least it seems not to be unique to my bike, did a search on this forum and found this from Freddy (obviously). I still wonder where the oil goes though...
oil-level-after-refreshing-it.JPG
@Freddy, did you ever find the reason for this?