Richard's ZR750C1 Restoration Project

Document your ongoing rebuilds and restorations here
Freddy

Re: Richard's ZR750C1 Restoration Project

Post by Freddy »

Richard wrote:
Richard wrote:Maybe this is the answer or at least it seems not to be unique to my bike, did a search on this forum and found this from Freddy (obviously). I still wonder where the oil goes though...
oil-level-after-refreshing-it.JPG
@Freddy, did you ever find the reason for this?
Nope. All I can do is assume is something like when you completely drain the oil it allows oil to more freely flow out of places like in the oil cooler. The lines being below the oil level where they attach to the sump. Being below the oil offsets gravity (I'm making this up if not obvious). When we drain all the oil out these also drain better. Fill it up to the top oil line, start it up and it refills these passages which don't drain back again, hence why it never returns back to full. Obviously a change of oil filter will account for a considerable drop. But the same thing happens even without changing the filter.

I change my oil every 5000 kilometres with a filter change every second change.
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Regarding the tires, no doubt you're most likely aware of this, but just in case..... disregard the recommended tyre pressures that may be in the owners manual, workshop manual, or listed on tire manufacturers websites. These are the original pressures for the bias ply tires that the bike originally came from the factory.

Radial tyres run higher pressures. I find 32psi front 36psi rear to be pretty good. Anything below 32 front and the sides scrub out excessively.

P.S. Where tyre manufactures used to make pressure recommendation that differed from the original factory numbers, that seems to be a think of the past, I assume for legal reasons. The nonsense of this can be found by looking at pressures on some of the tyre manufacturers sites for a ZR750 Zephyr and essential the same bike (from a tyre perspective) the ZR7. You'll find quite different pressures listed for the identical tyre. I assume the ZR7 came originally with radial tyres.

Be confident to try different pressures (obviously within a reasonable range). There is no one 'correct'. It's all a compromise between load, comfort, and tyre life.
Richard

Post by Richard »

All I can do is assume is something like when you completely drain the oil it allows oil to more freely flow out of places like in the oil cooler. The lines being below the oil level where they attach to the sump. Being below the oil offsets gravity (I'm making this up if not obvious).
That would be a perfect explanation Freddy even if it's just a guess ;)
Richard

Post by Richard »

Freddy wrote:Regarding the tires, no doubt you're most likely aware of this, but just in case..... disregard the recommended tyre pressures that may be in the owners manual, workshop manual, or listed on tire manufacturers websites. These are the original pressures for the bias ply tires that the bike originally came from the factory.

Radial tyres run higher pressures. I find 32psi front 36psi rear to be pretty good. Anything below 32 front and the sides scrub out excessively.

P.S. Where tyre manufactures used to make pressure recommendation that differed from the original factory numbers, that seems to be a think of the past, I assume for legal reasons. The nonsense of this can be found by looking at pressures on some of the tyre manufacturers sites for a ZR750 Zephyr and essential the same bike (from a tyre perspective) the ZR7. You'll find quite different pressures listed for the identical tyre. I assume the ZR7 came originally with radial tyres.

Be confident to try different pressures (obviously within a reasonable range). There is no one 'correct'. It's all a compromise between load, comfort, and tyre life.
I will have a word with the local supplier but thanks for the warning!
Richard

Post by Richard »

So I received a bottle of carter oil yesterday and topped my carter of up to the high level mark. It took the whole bottle (1 liter) so by now I added almost 6 liter in total. For sure the diff can't be only related to the cooler circuit. Crossing my fingers nothing wrong is going on...

I also ordered some acoustic demping material (Altena brand name) for the db-killer and o-boy that makes a huge difference, it does make a lot less noise but still can make some if you rev the engine ;)
But next time I need to wear some gloves as there is fiber glass within and my hands are still itching :oops:
20210729_214126_comp.jpg
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Richard wrote:by now I added almost 6 liter in total. For sure the diff can't be only related to the cooler circuit. Crossing my fingers nothing wrong is going on...
[/attachment]
6 liters can't be right. Don't take offence at this possibly dumb question (its the only possibility I can think of) .... you are checking the oil level with the bike on the center stand, and not on the side stand?
Richard

Post by Richard »

Now you know why I was surprised ;)

And yes on the center stand...
Richard

Post by Richard »

Finally we had a day without rain and even some sunshine 8-)

So I sprayed the rear caliper nicely red with 2K paint meant to be used on calipers, in dutch we have this saying "mooi rood is niet lelijk" it translates into something like "beautiful red ain't ugly" ;)

I also cleaned the other rear brake parts and I ordered some refurbishment parts. I have to wait two days for the paint to become rock solid so hopefully I can rebuild it next Wednesday.

And off course some pictures:
20210802_212353_comp.jpg
20210802_214022_comp.jpg
Richard

Post by Richard »

As the paint was hardened sooner than expected so I rebuild the rear brake this evening and boy what a difference again in breaking, that is after a few test runs. The bike is about ready now so all that's left is making some larger test runs and do a inspection afterwards, I will also focus on the oil but for now it seems fine.
20210803_212329_comp.jpg
20210803_212314_comp.jpg
20210803_220503_comp.jpg
I also made a new video demonstrating the sound with the additional demper material added to the silencer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ycm3M_NXUNQ
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ycm3M_NXUNQ[/youtube]
Swampy

Post by Swampy »

Fab job Richard, sounds the Dogs & looking great :)
Swamps :)