Richard's ZR750C1 Restoration Project

Document your ongoing rebuilds and restorations here
Richard

Re: Richard's ZR750C1 Restoration Project

Post by Richard »

Spend some more time in the garage this evening. I bought some large washers at the local hardware store and they were almost right, just 2mm too large in diameter :cry:
I had to file them down to the correct diameter, not my favorite work :( but it got the job done 8-) . Obviously I cleaned them thoroughly, no iron particles left I mean.
So the left one has now 9mm extra preload, with those washers beng 3mm thick each. Had to apply quite some pressure when mounting the top bolt...

Tomorrow I have no time, need to finish cleaning up the backyard for my daughters birthday this weekend.

To be continued...
20210630_213044_comp.jpg
20210630_213114_comp.jpg
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Richard wrote:Had to apply quite some pressure when mounting the top bolt...
Regarding the above comment, by that I'm assuming you mean to get the top inner fork tube cap started in its thread? Because that's what I expected. If that is what you mean, it is the result of those dual rate springs. You're being forced to stick a ton of 'preload' on that very light section of the spring just to get the desired rider sag.

If its not obvious, not a fan of dual rate front fork springs.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Freddy wrote:
It was obvious the first time you provided advise ;)

You mentioned to make the spacer 10mm longer which I'm now nearing. Will do the other leg tomorrow evening, oil will arrive tomorrow as well so I hope to be able to test the new setup this week. And if all fails I will order a pair of original springs and start over again...

And I need to fit new tires, yes I know...
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Richard wrote:
Freddy wrote:
It was obvious the first time you provided advise ;)

You mentioned to make the spacer 10mm longer which I'm now nearing. Will do the other leg tomorrow evening, oil will arrive tomorrow as well so I hope to be able to test the new setup this week. And if all fails I will order a pair of original springs and start over again...

And I need to fit new tires, yes I know...
If you do decide to change out the front springs, don't just go 'original'. Get what you believe to be correct for your weight and riding style (which could be the originals). Be careful of spring rate calculators etc. The popular ones recommend springs that are too heavy for the roads, I think. I can't really guide you there as our weight is vastly different. I'm 95Kg and run a 0.90Kg/mm in one leg, and a 0.85 in the other for what its worth.

Get those tires on. Without them its like trying to fix cracks in a house with dodgy foundations.

P.S. And until such time as you fit those UDF's .... seriously consider a fork brace. You'll never get a positive steering feel from those flexing front forks. Stand in front of the bike balancing it by the bars with the front wheel locked tight between your knees. Now push/pull the bars trying to stop the wheel turning. That flex is how much the front wheel can be 'wondering' under pressure as you're going around a corner, or passing over grooved roads or truck depressions etc. A quality properly designed and fitted fork brace will take 90+% of that flex out. I used to find grooved roads terrifying at high speed, felt like a flat front tyre. Don't even notice them after fitting a fork brace.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi Freddy,

I finished installing 9mm of washers in both front legs and I must say the difference is quite noticeable, much less force on my arms required entering and going through a corner at low speed. So it seems we are getting somewhere at least. I will go after new tires next, will take some time though as throughout the week I'm quite busy with my job.

About the fork brace, is there any type/brand you recommend? The picture is showing one being sold on Ebay from the UK
fork brace kawasaki zephyr 750.JPG
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

This is the one I use, bought from Webike Japan. Very well engineered bit of gear.
https://japan.webike.net/products/36012.html

I wouldn't recommend the one in your post just judging from the photo. Why? Have a very close look at the 'bulb' section at the top of your outer fork tubes where the brace will attach (just below the dust deals). If they are anything like mine, they are not a nice straight machined surface. There is a very gradual roll in the sides. As such I don't think they are going to be a good mate to the design of the ones on ebay.

If you look at the ones I have you'll see the attaching brackets are very thin, AND they are not metal to metal contact. Rather there are some white polypropylene?? inserts where they make contact between the clamps and fork tops. To me this is a much better design to handle that slight roll in the outer fork tube top.

Why all this is important, is that a fork brace that introduces any twist or pinching will create a crap load of static friction (stiction) and create a very harsh ride. You have to make sure everything is dead straight, and adjusted perfectly. Measure the stiction before fitting the brace, and again after fitting to check it hasn't increased. Easy to measure, but I'll leave the explanation till your ready if your decide to get one.

P.S NEVER for a second think of getting any of those 'fixed' type fork braces that you see being sold. By that I mean where the center connecting piece (like the one in your photo) is fixed. They must be adjustable to match the inaccuracy that will always be present.
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Forget to mention again, be sure to undo the rear rebound damping adjusters on the rear shocks (say 3 clicks) next time before you go for a test ride. The adjuster below the springs.

Excessive compression damping in the rear will definitely make a bike feel it needs to be wrestled through corners. And just in case you thinking I've probably make a type saying undo the rebound damping adjuster to reduce compression damping ...... the correct name for a rebound damping adjuster should really be a 'combination rebound/compression' damping adjuster. Oil can flow both ways through the internal orifice the adjuster opens/closes, so adjusting rebound affects BOTH rebound and compression damping.

Why not just undo the low speed compression damping adjuster I hear you thinking (I'm not sure what adjusters are on the shock your have, can't tell from the photos)? Because I'll bet the rebound is too slow as supplied (they assume everyone just rides autobahns) so probably both need dialing back at bit. For a road bike ridden on all sorts of road conditions, you want a pretty fast rebound.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Freddy wrote:Forget to mention again, be sure to undo the rear rebound damping adjusters on the rear shocks (say 3 clicks) next time before you go for a test ride. The adjuster below the springs.
Looks like I don't have any adjuster on that location Freddy, will find the documentation on what else to do...
Richard

Post by Richard »

It's been a bit quiet but things did happen behind the scenes ;)

I bought new tires and the wheels are currently at the local motor shop to mount them. I also bought an original red front fender so I replaced the black one. I now have a complete separate set of items to be painted which will be done by a professional painter. And since the rear wheel came of I started overhauling the rear break which didn't do much breaking anymore :roll: I also replaced the front wheel bearings and seals.

Next update will take some time as I have to cleanup the rear caliper and order the parts to overhaul it

Some pictures:
20210721_211029_comp.jpg
20210722_210325_comp.jpg
20210722_210659_comp.jpg
Swampy

Post by Swampy »

Hoping that this isn't a silly question Richard but with the top pic of the previous post, what is holding up your bike :o
You have both wheels off and it appears just to be on the centre stand :lol:
Keep up the good work :D
Swamps :)