91 550 custom restoration

Document your ongoing rebuilds and restorations here
Fishrider

Re: 91 550 custom restoration

Post by Fishrider »

While my electrical was in good working condition, I rebuilt the whole system. Not necessary, just a tinkerer thing. I'll look through the diagrams when I get chance to see if your assessments match up. Those original Kawasaki diagrams can be... interesting. There are definitely some wires that don't terminate to anything. Some ignition circuits if I remember.
Stereordinary

Post by Stereordinary »

I haven’t had too much difficulty reading the wiring diagram in the FSM, but I am eternally confused how there seems to be two ground circuits.

But anyway, yeah, I noticed the same thing in mine, two open wires that seemed to be disconnected, and so checked the diagram and I think it just says “accessory.” So it’s for adding grip or saddle warmers or something, they just built in an easy connection from the factory. Pretty handy if you wanna run something like that.
A breeze from the west.
Jen-etc

Post by Jen-etc »

Ah that's good to know. I'm likely to be adding some bits down the line, I hadn't thought of using them so will bare it in mind!

The Haynes manual diagram is fairly easy to understand once you start to get your head around it and match bits up to the bike. I half debated renewing the wiring but figured I have more than enough on my plate. Maybe if I end up stripping it again down the line I might look into it but for now I'll stick with fault finding/repairing!

I'm about to head out to the shed and have a go at the ignition repairs so I'll keep you posted.
Jen-etc

Post by Jen-etc »

On that note actually, is there a full Kawasaki workshop manual? I can't seem to find anything other than the Haynes manual, the owners service manual, and one copy of a workshop manual in German!

Would be good to have a factory one too though to be honest so far I've found the Haynes manual really good.
Stereordinary

Post by Stereordinary »

Yes, there is. I’m not sure how you can get one where you are, I got mine off of eBay. Looks like this.
Attachments
FCAEDAD8-9760-4094-B0A7-15C556ACFC23.jpeg
FCAEDAD8-9760-4094-B0A7-15C556ACFC23.jpeg (35.87 KiB) Viewed 2773 times
A breeze from the west.
Jen-etc

Post by Jen-etc »

Ah that's great thanks! I'll keep an eye out for one, I think that's what I found a German copy of but haven't found an English one yet.

So a good hour or so in the shed this afternoon;

Fixed the battery wire with a new spade connector, connected up a battery, turned the key, and Tadaaaa! Lights!

The handlebar controls are in bits and there's no lights connected at the moment, but from the initial tests I could do, it looks like the indicators, horn, kill switch and the new LED headlight (full and main beam) I have work. I need to connect up the headlight differently to get side light/running light I believe so will tackle that down the line.

I also hit the ignition button and the starter kicked in so that's promising too.

SHE LIVES!!

Lots to do over the next week or two but hoping I'll have her running soon!

I also had a look at the fuel sensor and the plug on that has a B/Y wire and a W wire. But I only have a B/Y cut on the bike. So I need to do a bit more checking into that.

I also had a bit more if a look through the box of random bits I got with the bike and it looks like the seat latch bar bit is in there, plus the mounting brackets I realise I myself ground off (!)
So I'll be welding those back on I guess!

I still can't work out how the seat works though so if anyone is with their bike soon and could just snap me a photo of under the seat/mountings so I can work out what it should look like I'd be very grateful please and thank you!

Yesterday I got the cover off the seat after much swearing and brute force to get the side screws off (the ones that hold the strap on).
The foam is in excellent shape which will make my upholsterer friends job much easier. The base plate has also come away easily making cutting it down a much simpler process.
I've cleaned the tail plastic up and worked out how I'm going to cut that. But actually taking a saw to these things is somewhat intimidating!

There were a couple of bits I wasn't sure of in the box of bits, along with the seat latch.
Can anyone identify what they are please?

All in all feeling pretty pleased today. Hoping this momentum and good fortune will continue but expecting catastrophe at every turn!
Attachments
Seat cover removed
Seat cover removed
She's alive!
She's alive!
Can anyone identify these please? Thanks!
Can anyone identify these please? Thanks!
Stereordinary

Post by Stereordinary »

Here you go, hope this helps. If you need a video or more photos, let me know.
Attachments
2FFDD13E-7CCA-4160-AF26-7D930E5283A0.jpeg
27D694AE-917E-4890-A07D-2ED4D0366614.jpeg
A breeze from the west.
Jen-etc

Post by Jen-etc »

That's incredibly helpful! Thank you so much!

Had to take a day off the bike today, needed to catch up on all the work/life admin I've been ignoring this week haha.

Not sure how much more I'll get done on it this week as I'm doing a sponsored 26 mile marathon hike on Saturday and then at a bike show Sunday but as soon as I have more progress I'll share!
Jen-etc

Post by Jen-etc »

Hey everyone!

Hope you're all ok?

I've not done much on the bike this week as I completed a marathon (hiking) at the weekend, and we'll, I'm broken haha!

But I've spent a bit of time in the shed mostly head scratching at how to do the rear end and I think I have a plan now. More on that another time.

Right now I'm doing an oil change and hoping to start her up at the weekend, question; do I need to fit the exhausts for a fire up? I appreciate it'll run like sh1t without it, but would it actually affect it firing up?
I've currently got the exhaust off to have it on a lift and I was hoping to avoid putting it on and off again, but if that's what's needed that's what's needed!
Last edited by Jen-etc on 18 May 2022, 16:55, edited 1 time in total.
Jen-etc

Post by Jen-etc »

Well today I changed the old lead caps to new Ngk ones (one was iffy and cracked so replaced them all) and it sounds silly but the engine looks better for them!

I also went to do the oil change; good news and bad news (not too bad, just annoying)

Good news:
Oil that came out of it looked really good. No obvious concerns which is a big relief.

Bad news:
Annoyingly, I realised that where my lift is on the frame it’s completely blocking the filter housing. So I haven’t changed the filter yet. But it did mean I made the decision to take it off the lift now, and for start up, so I’ll refit the exhaust for now. (As I was deliberating above)
Also, the sump plug washer had completely bent around/fused to the plug. So I can’t refit the plug and refill it. Looks like it’s going to take a few days for a new one to arrive so that’s annoying.

Not the end of the world but just another annoying hold up!

But once this is finished I’m ready to have a go at starting her up so not long now!