Digital Dials and LED lights headache

When all the smoke has escaped from inside the wires...
Jen-etc

Digital Dials and LED lights headache

Post by Jen-etc »

Please help! :lol:

So I’m wiring up a new digital dial.

Old ones off, no problem. Worked out most of the wiring now on the original loom. To be honest this is my first dabble with much wiring but I’m getting there.

I’m in the process of now making new connecting blocks to join the new dial. I have many questions.

Tacho - there seems to be two wires other than the tacho light on the original loom. The new dial has one. Which original wire should I connect it too?

Ground - this is BK/Y yes? On the original dials every terminal block has a BK/Y link, but I’m struggling to work out the equivalent for the new connections.

Green - no idea what this is on the new dial.

Green/black - again on the new dial. Separate wire not in a terminal. I think this is low beam from the instructions, but seems weird not in a block, other than the fact the blocks are full so maybe it’s just left out to save using other blocks? Is there a low beam separate feed from the bike/. I’ve only identified high beam?

The new dial’s instructions are terribly translated Chinese/English. The listing to buy it from eBay has a set of ‘instructions’ and there was another set in the box. The two don’t really say the same thing! I’ve ascertained the diagrams that came in the box seem to match up with the actual dial connectors, but trying to then work out the best way to wire it is just causing me a headache.

I’d be super grateful if anyone with more knowledge than me could maybe grab a cup of tea and look over what I’ve got, and maybe point out something obvious I’m overlooking please?

I’ve done my best to draw up a plan for the new connectors too.

I’ll attach it all below and then come to the LED lights in a bit!
Attachments
Original wiring diagram
Original wiring diagram
As far as I've got planning the new connections. I can’t work out what the green wire is on the new dial. And the green black is confusing too.
As far as I've got planning the new connections. I can’t work out what the green wire is on the new dial. And the green black is confusing too.
Last edited by Jen-etc on 13 Jun 2022, 10:34, edited 2 times in total.
Jen-etc

Re: Digital Dials and LED lights headache

Post by Jen-etc »

These are the instructions that I have to work with!
Attachments
The instructions that came in the box
The instructions that came in the box
Page 2 of the 'instructions', I've tried to annotate what I think it should be.
Page 2 of the 'instructions', I've tried to annotate what I think it should be.
Page one of listing 'instructions'
Page one of listing 'instructions'
Jen-etc

Post by Jen-etc »

Next the LED lights.

I've got a new headlight which has proved to be plug and play for high bean and low beam.

There's a 'day time running light' extra wire. Would this connect to the "city light" on the existing loom?

I have new indicators which also have day time running lights built in which a separate wire, would I join these up to the headlight wire to create one wire to connect to the city light?

The rear indicators also have built in tail lights, so I'm guessing again this would get spliced into the tail light feed?

I've got a new flasher relay that I'm hoping will work but until I get it all connected I have no idea haha.

Any help really, truly appreciated!

Thanks!
Jen-etc

Post by Jen-etc »

Ok I’m pretty sure I just use this forum to think aloud and work through things haha.

So. I found an actually very helpful YouTube video which has helped me work a few things out.(maybe)…

The green wire on the new dials is ground.

The black tacho wire on the old dials is seemingly the one that runs to the coils AND the igniter. The brown goes to the igniter, but also makes a load of pit stops on the way through many many components. So I think the black is the one to use.

So with that in mind, I’m going to run with those assumptions and see how it goes….

The YouTube video is https://youtu.be/KPxkYZcWNV4

Might be handy if anyone else is in a predicament.
Attachments
Wish me luck
Wish me luck
Richard

Post by Richard »

It looks like you're on to it...
Being an electrician myself I know this can be a daunting task, I always ue a universal meter myself, just to be sure, but you need to know how to interpret your measurements...
Good luck figuring thiings out ;)
Jen-etc

Post by Jen-etc »

Well that's reassuring! I'm on the middle of building the new blocks now. Needed to get some more cabling before finishing it all.

Really hoping this works!
Jen-etc

Post by Jen-etc »

So I got the dial wired up as planned. And it comes on!

Cant test it all yet though as the engines not running and the indicators aren't fitted yet.

I haven't done the running light either yet.

It got to midnight and I called it a day!

I have managed to get all the wires into the headlight bucket which is a big relief. I'm a bit worried about whether it'll get really hot in there though, if maybe having all the wires in there is actually a bad idea? I've got nowhere else to hide them!

I have full beam working and the full beam indicator light.

The engine light doesn't go out, but without having fired the bike up I don't know if this is staying on for a reason!

I haven't checked neutral yet.

The biggest worry is when I hit the starter button nothing happens. It's like the kill switch is on, but it's not.
It did try to fire before I took the dials off so think I've got a wire wrong somewhere.

As I say this was all around midnight so I haven't looked into it more yet.

Any pointers on where to start my investigation would be appreciated! Probably something very simple. I will check the ignition wiring again as one of the connectors had broken in that previously so it's possible something else has gone somewhere....
Attachments
IMG20220620234840.jpg
IMG20220620235055.jpg
Richard

Post by Richard »

I would suggest to check by circuit. E.g. your starter circuit is one and your headlight is another. With the battery connected only use a voltmeter to measure if the destination gets a voltage. You can also follow a circuit with an Ohm meter (measure resistance) but do disconnect the battery on that case!
Fishrider

Post by Fishrider »

First, the engine light will/should go off once the engine starts. Does the same thing on my dial. The other circuit I would look at is the neutral circuit. You neutral light should be coming on. If it isn't, I am pretty sure the starter circuit won't allow the bike to start. Richard's correct. You may have to test each circuit. It's a simple thing to see if power is going to the starter. You may have a different issue other than something being mis-wired to the dial and lamps. More good advice from Richard: for sure, have the mulit-meter set to measuring volts if you are testing the circuit while the battery is hooked up and you attempting to start the bike. If power is getting to the starter and nothing is happening then you will have to test a few other circuits. The igniter and the starter need to get power to the starter circuit relay. Also, make sure you didn't knock off any of the coil connections. Does the battery have enough juice to turn the starter? Hopefully, its something simple.
Jen-etc

Post by Jen-etc »

Oh I could hug you guys lol.

So I just checked it was in neutral, hit the button and bam it tried to fire. It blew out one of the plastic gloves I've been using to stop crap getting in the exhaust ports, which I think is good?! (Nervous laughter)
I have a neutral light too so that's all good.

BUT

NEXT ISSUE
(More nervous laughter)

Worrying about my clutch.

So when I fitted the new clutch cable I wasn't convinced I hadn't done something weird with the clutch cable arm connector bit (technical term). It just didn't feel right to me, but I don't know what right should feel like so I ignored it.
FF to my mate coming over, and the clutch is playing up, like it's seized from standing but it does free up, baring in mind we're basing these opinions on it on a stand.

So today I'm doing chain and sprockets, and I notice that there's a slight leak from around the gear change linkage arm. Should that arm move?!! Every time it moves it leaks, but in my complete newbie ignorance, I can't see how it would change gear without moving?
I have managed to over fill it with oil I realised, would this cause it?

Argh it's all stressful.

Wouldn't be worth doing if it was easy, right?! (Yet more nervous laughter!)