Choke lever won't stay put

For all your mechanical queries, or for sharing your mechanical know-how. Also used for arguing about which oil to use...
ZR468

Choke lever won't stay put

Post by ZR468 »

When I pulled the choke lever to the full on position, it used to stay in place. Lately, it just slips back toward the off postion. I looked in the service manual, there is no instructions on how to tighten the lever. Does anyone knows how to tighten it?
Thank you so much, Kenny
ZR750- 1992
jaggerboy

Re: Choke lever won't stay put

Post by jaggerboy »

Not sure they can actually be tightened. This happened to me once on my zzr 600, not saying you have done this, but I made the mistake of squirting some WD40 around the choke lever and of course it just started slipping back. I just left it as the bike seemed to warm up pretty quickly, but the best way would have been to strip it off the bars and clean up.

The only other reason I can think of is excessive wear on the inside of the plastic lever?

Paul
hugojose

Post by hugojose »

A lot of people are going to tell you to tighten the mirror clamp against the switch housing, or applied tape on the housing to increase the friction and so on.....but here goes........Inside the switch housing, behind the lever, there is a friction pad pressed by a spring.. It is a high density rubber block. These bikes are really getting old and after these many years, the rubber tends to disintegrate (mine did).

The bad news is Kawasaki never sold this friction pad apart. Either you bought the entire switch housing, or nothing, and even if you wanted to, the switch housings are no longer available new.

One option is buying a used switch housing, but probably the pad would be as bad as yours. A switch housing from a newer ZR-7 is different physically and electrically. Thus, In my case, I decided to fabricate my own; I made it from the rubber handle of an toothbrush, those with ergonomically looking handle. Drilled a small blind hole first for the tiny spring and then cut it and carved it out using a dremell, until if fit in the little square recessed. It has been working for about 4 years now.
ZR468

Post by ZR468 »

Thank you folks for the info. I did get over zealous in oiling the clutch cable and started oiling everthing that moves. I wasn't aware that the stay of the choke cable was managed by a friction plate. Learnt something new today. I think I'll just leave it alone and hold the choke lever in place by hand. In time, the oil will dissipate. Thanks again.
Zaddict

Post by Zaddict »

hugojose wrote:A lot of people are going to tell you to tighten the mirror clamp against the switch housing, or applied tape on the housing to increase the friction and so on.....but here goes........Inside the switch housing, behind the lever, there is a friction pad pressed by a spring.. It is a high density rubber block. These bikes are really getting old and after these many years, the rubber tends to disintegrate (mine did).

The bad news is Kawasaki never sold this friction pad apart. Either you bought the entire switch housing, or nothing, and even if you wanted to, the switch housings are no longer available new.

One option is buying a used switch housing, but probably the pad would be as bad as yours. A switch housing from a newer ZR-7 is different physically and electrically. Thus, In my case, I decided to fabricate my own; I made it from the rubber handle of an toothbrush, those with ergonomically looking handle. Drilled a small blind hole first for the tiny spring and then cut it and carved it out using a dremell, until if fit in the little square recessed. It has been working for about 4 years now.

craftsmanship
1990 Zephyr 550 B1 (Phoebe)
Factory Pro Stage 1 jet kit
Kerker stainless steel race exhaust with 1.5" competition baffle
zx550 cams
Progressive fork springs with adjustable preloaders
Nitron stealth rear shocks
58 rwhp (stock is ~46)
ZR468

Post by ZR468 »

Clamping the mirror tight against the choke lever did the trick for me. No need to fab somthing out of a tooth brush. But good idea though, will keep it in my back pocket.
Kenny