91 550 custom restoration

Document your ongoing rebuilds and restorations here
Jen-etc

91 550 custom restoration

Post by Jen-etc »

Hi all!

I'm Jen and I'm new to the forum but very glad to have stumbled upon it as I'm "restoring" a 91 zr550 that I bought as an unfinished custom project and am now hoping to get back on the road asap after it's been off the road for 20 years!

Sorry this is quite a long post!

I'm now focusing on getting the engine started. It's a very low mileage and well serviced bike before it was taken apart, so I'm hoping that it's sound underneath but I haven't stripped the engine beyond a normal service, cleaning the carbs etc; figuring that if there's a problem now that I've done the carbs, plugs, leads, air box, fuel tank + system (de-rusting the tank was *not* a fun job!!), and the oil, then that's the point I'll start stripping further, but I'm REALLY hoping I won't need to.

I'm now at the point of refitting the carbs and tank and I've come up against some head scratching and I'm hoping maybe someone here can help.

Carbs:

I have a 91 550B which the Haynes manual suggests should have the carb heater. This wasn't on the carbs and I'm not sure if it was previously fitted. So I'm wondering if the carbs are changed maybe? I don't see any reason why, I'm just stumped by this heater. I've attached some photos in the hope maybe someone can identity if I should have one in the pile of bits if I look again.

Also, I bought what I thought were the air duct rubbers off eBay but I realise they're actually the carb inlet rubbers. (I'm very much learning on the job, every day's a school day) I've cleaned them all up now - is it worth replacing the ones already on the bike or is there little benefit to change for this other used set, other than being cleaner and shinier?
If replacing them is a good idea, are they all the same or are they numbered to go on in a certain order? The originals are still on the bike.

Air box:

So after a bit of research I discovered many a forum thread saying the 550 runs awfully on pod filters. Thankfully, the bike came with the original airbox as well as the really questionable pods the previous owner was planning to fit.
I've bought a standard spec filter for the box. The problem I have is that only two of the original rubbers are there, both of which are knackered and need replacing anyway. I have winced at the price of new ones but from reading some helpful posts on here it seems they are a worth while investment (even if the current price of them makes my eyes water).
On that note, the little spring retainers make my purse cry even more, are they completely necessary? Would generic spring clips do the job?
I don't really want to cut corners but it's looking like £100 now to just to fit my airbox and that just wasn't in the budget! Any tips here would be greatly appreciated.

Lastly, fuel tank:

I've cleaned the inside of the tank which was a mission but I'm really pleased with how it's come up. (pic attached)
The fuel tap is old and rusty so I've been cleaning that up and have a fuel tap repair kit, so today's job is to restore that.
The fuel level sensor had rusted away completely inside the tank, and I couldn't get a like for like replacement, so I got an ER5 one which looked identical, until I went to fit it and realised although the sensor and wiring look the same, the mounting plate is bigger.
Does anyone forsee any issues if I use the zephyr rubber gasket off the original sensor (the new one was rubber-less) and drill 4 new holes in the er5 plate to mount it to the tank?
I have seen you can get "universal" sensors so figured a Kawasaki part had to be a better replacement, but wondered if anyone had any experience with these?
I do actually also have an ER5 without a working fuel sensor (!) so worst case scenario I'll fit this one to that bike and look for another one for the Zephyr.

And last note on fuel, fuel pipe. Any recommendations? I plan to replace the piping but I've had a couple of friends with older bikes struggle with the quality of aftermarket pipe so again I wondered if anyone had any experience they could share.

Can anyone think of anything else to add I need to be checking before attempting the first fire up?

I'll be sure to share progress as I go. I've been filming a few bits which I plan to pop on YouTube and Instagram in time so you can follow progress there too if you like!

Sorry this was a long winded post but I'm just very excited to find some other zephyr owners!
If I should have put the separate elements of this post in other relevant parts of the forum please let me know.

Looking forward to sharing my progress and hopefully having this bike back up and running really soon.

Currently full of the fear of all the things that could go wrong, but also have blind optimism that I'm sure it'll all be fine haha!
Attachments
Before and after inside tank
Before and after inside tank
IMG_20220415_172015.jpg
IMG_20220415_171959.jpg
ZoneAdmin
Site Admin

Re: 91 550 custom restoration

Post by ZoneAdmin »

Hi Jen

New air filter housing to carb rubbers are a lot more pliable than 29 year old rubber and make refitting them a lot easier. On the 750 all 4 are the same part number. Regarding the spring retainers when I bought my 750 C4 they were all missing so as a temporary measure I used cable ties (I used 3mm wide cables ties as they sit in the groove for the spring retainer and tightened them with pliers).

The carb heaters on my C4 were removed by a previous owner, my C3 still has heaters fitted.

Not sure about the fuel level sensor, maybe someone else can help you. :?:

Good luck with your project.
Regards
Dennis

Current bikes: Zephyr 750 C4, Zephyr 750 C3
-------------------------------------------------------
Previous bikes: Kawasaki Z1000 A2, Kawasaki KH400 A4, Kawasaki KH250 B1
Stereordinary

Post by Stereordinary »

Welcome Jen! Fellow 550 owner from Washington state in the US here. You’ll find lots of knowledge on this forum.

To the best of my knowledge the 550’s never came with carb heaters. The 750’s did though, so your Haynes manual may be unclear on that. I recommend getting a copy of the genuine Kawasaki factory manual.
A breeze from the west.
Fishrider

Post by Fishrider »

Looks like a good start. Sitting that long you will need a few new seals. Forks certainly, but there may be some other oil seals on things like the transmission cover. My first Zephyr was a 550. Super fun bike, which is why I have put my heart in soul into my current money pit. Although, some of my issues were self induced. As long as you don't need to crack the engine, everything else is totally workable.
voyager12

Post by voyager12 »

I am going thru the same headaches with my barn find. Sitting for 9 years or so. Hoping it fires up today and has a great idle. Been an ongoing on and off project since the middle of last year.
Gene from Jersey USA
Stereordinary

Post by Stereordinary »

Good luck Gene!

Jen, any updates or follow up questions?
A breeze from the west.
Jen-etc

Post by Jen-etc »

Hi! Thanks for all the replies and the warm welcome! I’m in the UK so it’s exciting to hear from zephyr owners across the pond too! :D

I’m still plodding on working mostly on cleaning bits up and now starting to put bits back on.

Updates:

Fuel:
The fuel level sensor has proved to be tricky but not impossible; turns out the float on the er5 sensor sits at a different angle to the zephyr so it hits the inside of the tank and I’ll need to amend that if I use it. I can’t find a replacement so think I’ll have to make it fit but holding out a bit longer in the hope one turns up

I serviced the fuel tap/petcock and ended up going to town with cleaning it and I’m really pleased with how nicely it’s come up. Just hope it works! :lol: (I’ll post some update photos from my phone later)

Fuel pipe: I’ll ordered some and some filters, when I checked my Haynes and owners manual it said these will need replacing every few years, but didn’t state a size. I’ve ordered 6mm over the 8mm but not sure if it makes a difference?

Carbs/air intakes:
I also (thankfully) managed to rescue the two air ducts that I thought were passed it. Turns out they were just filthy and having been cleaned up well I noticed they’re still good and actually still soft especially when slightly warmed up, with no cracks or signs of perish so hoping that I can just get away with buying two replacements. It’ll be much cheaper! Does anyone know from experience of fitting them if any ones are particularly stubborn or tricky? I’ll put the nice new ones there and the older ones in slightly easier spots (if there is such a spot!) I know they are a PITA to fit in general so I’m hoping I’ll only have to do it this once for a while!

Re carb heater, mines the uk B2 model which apparently should have the heater. I haven’t got as far as looking further into this yet but will report back with any findings. For anyone that’s had them removed previously, is it a necessity or a nicety to have?

Seals etc:
I’ve got oil seals etc to replace, I’m basically going to work my way through all the service items, major and minor, before she’s back on the road properly. So if it’s listed there it’ll probably get replaced.
Regarding forks, I planned to do the fork seals, but I’ve also read many many reviews, articles and forum posts commenting on the handling improvements that come from replacing the forks, and so I’ve debated doing that too. Again if there’s any recommendations on these from anyone I’ll always listen to the voice of experience!

Other than that today I’ve mostly been cleaning and checking, I’m shortly going to be turning my attention to the electrics and checking powers getting where it needs to.

Bodywork:
As I mentioned, I bought this as an unfinished project, and the previous owner had chopped the back with a view of making a bit of a bobber style bike. I originally planned to follow suit with more of street scrambler vibe; flat seat and knobblies.
Thankfully the bike came with the original seat and the chopped part of the frame as I’ve now decided to go with a more subtle mod and shorten the tail end, almost tracker style, using the original seat and rear cowl but both modified and shortened. I have a very good friend who’s a professional upholsterer who is going to help me with that side of things, however I’m having a bit of a issue now refitting the original seat!
The seat locking mechanism and doesn’t seem to be there any more (it would have been removed in the chop and I can’t see it in the bits) so the seat can’t click into place. I think the brackets may have been removed too, but I’ve been looking both in my manuals and online and I can’t work out how the mechanism actually works plus I can’t find any clear photos to help me. I can find the locking mech bar replacement part, but I can’t work out how to mount it and how the key would unlock it? There are other similar ones off similar bikes too, (I.e. does a 750 work the same way?) but I can’t get my head around what should be there to work out how to re-fit it. If anyone has any photos of theirs I’d be ever so grateful for some reference photos please and thank you!

I think I’m going to end up re-welding on the chopped non-structural part of the frame and then chop it again so the frame is a bit longer, that would give me back the frame real estate for mounting options, plus the added benefit of luggage racks etc for practicality.

Phew, another long post! I’ll share some photos of my weekends cleaning efforts later.

How did you get on Gene?
Jen-etc

Post by Jen-etc »

A couple of photos from this weekend's cleaning efforts. I do love a good before and after photo!

I'll try and find a couple of photos of when I bought it too soon.
Attachments
Evicted the spiders from the filter after a few years living on my shed floor.
Evicted the spiders from the filter after a few years living on my shed floor.
Air box cleaned up and rubbers rescued.
Air box cleaned up and rubbers rescued.
Fuel tap looking super shiny now.
Fuel tap looking super shiny now.
Jen-etc

Post by Jen-etc »

Found some photos from when I got the bike!

I bought it as a crazy bid on eBay late one night, needing a bike to race in a local flat track event. I had not long split up with my ex (leaving me with two toddlers), and he'd 'banned' me from riding bikes for a while, so of course I wanted another! But funds were very tight so a project was the only way I could realistically make it happen.

I've always liked the retro Kawasaki's, my first bike was an ER5 and sort of by chance my cat is also called Zephyr (named after both the Kawasaki and the ford) so when this came up at a bargain price I had to have it.

I actually picked it up the week I met my now husband back in 2015. Since then life's got in the way somewhat and we've got married and added a third child to the brood who's now two, plus a couple of extra health things along the way all pausing progress.

Because I didn't have time to rebuild the zephyr amongst the chaos I ended up buying another cheap ER5 which I have had loads of good times on offer the last few years, but I was spending all my time and money keeping that on the road. When that broke down the day before it's MOT I drew a line under it and said now I must get the zephyr done ... Which takes me to now!
Attachments
Arriving home
Arriving home
Happy me
Happy me
eBay listing photo
eBay listing photo
Last edited by Jen-etc on 04 May 2022, 15:18, edited 1 time in total.
voyager12

Post by voyager12 »

Well I looks like your making great progress. I have come to the end of my mechanical repairs as of tonight. Cold start and idle issues were solved. But it took the weekend to resolve, taking the carbs out twice on Sunday. a tip I would like to share is that to remove and installin the carbs very easily , I removed the rear brake spring and removed the switch. This I found makes the air box move back far enough on both side for the carbs to fit right in. Another trick, and this is after doing much reading here on the forum, and hearing that quite a few find it impossible to adjust the fuel screw on #2 cyl. I just removed the cover for the starter and it was just as easy to adjust #2 as it was for the other cylinders .
A friend came over after work today that rides a Kawasaki and I let him go for a blast. I needed a second opinion, and he was impressed. He said that the engine had no lack of power and had it up past 80 miles per hour and it wanted to go even further. Rear tyre is needed for sure and then we will see what this 550 will really do. It has been a long and expensive journey to bring this back to life after 9 years of sitting in a barn. Time to clean the shop and bring in the next barn find.
Gene Kap from New Jersey.
I will post some pics when I get time.