Air box intake rubbers install

Introduce yourself, share your heroic Zephyr tales, put the world to rights, gossip, etc.
Dodger11

Air box intake rubbers install

Post by Dodger11 »

Had my Carberttors off on my zr 550 over the winter,New jets diaphragm good clean etc.trying to get the air box intake rubbers on for the last two days.what a job I'm haveing ,they must be a easy way to do this,never mind the easy way by Kawasaki installation is the reverse of removal.any zepyer zoners had this problem. Please let me know how the best way to do this.Thanks
Zrbiker

Re: Air box intake rubbers install

Post by Zrbiker »

Hello,
Yes its not easy,you need to buy new duct air filters(rubbers)from carburator to airfilter.
becorse the old one or strong and not flexible
,i did it 2 times on my zephyr 1100.i use e litle silicone spray on it.
And then it works for me,
easy way dont exsist,i believe.
you need e bit patient to do.
I hope it helps for you.
Good luck
Grts
Jo
Previous bikes:
Suzuki gt250,yamaha xs 400,honda vt750,suzuki gsxf 750,yamaha xs750,zephyr 1100(14years)gilera nexus 500(3years),zephyr 1100
Freddy

Re: Air box intake rubbers install

Post by Freddy »

Dodger11 wrote:Had my Carberttors off on my zr 550 over the winter,New jets diaphragm good clean etc.trying to get the air box intake rubbers on for the last two days.what a job I'm haveing ,they must be a easy way to do this,never mind the easy way by Kawasaki installation is the reverse of removal.any zepyer zoners had this problem. Please let me know how the best way to do this.Thanks
I can only answer from the perspective of a 750, so some may be applicable, some perhaps not......
I'm assuming from what you've written that you've got the carbies back in ok. First make sure the carbies are truly all the way in. The 750 intake manifold have a stopper on them, make sure the carbies are hard up against this. On the back outer edges of a 750 airbox there is a soft rubber block glued, one each side. This block positions the airbox in the frame. If the 550 is the same, remove these rubber blocks for the install and them reglue them back in place when all is done. Removing those rubber blocks allows the airbox to come further back in the frame about a further 1/2". This small extra amount makes a world of difference.

I always wipe the insides of both the carby manifold and airbox rubbers with a thin film of red rubber grease while the carbies are out so everything slides better. Probably not possible if the carbies are now installed. As already said, new soft rubbers make a WORLD of difference.