1100 clutch slip

For all your mechanical queries, or for sharing your mechanical know-how. Also used for arguing about which oil to use...
Jimbo36uk

1100 clutch slip

Post by Jimbo36uk »

Thought i would throw this one out as I am scratching my head a little.

I have always been really conscious of keeping the clutch in good shape so have been replacing the friction plates (the fibre ones) quite regularly. Recently the clutch began slipping, brought the "EBC ARAMID RACE CLUTCH" kit as it came with both sets of plates and springs and had some confidence whichever the issue was that would fix it.... So put it all back together and its still slipping. Have serviced the master cylinder last weekend and swapped the oil for Motul Semi Synth 5000, still slipping.... Ive checked the slave cylinder and it is moving quite freely. Bikes done 33k

I was going to try fitting an extra friction plate in this weekend but thought I would ask the question to see if anyone else has experienced this before?

I am wondering if the plate that the springs push against might be worn away and thats causing it, it did have some wear marks on it when I took it apart so I could have even answered my own question but with 5-6 springs pushing against it I convinced myself it would be ok.

Any help would be much appreciated

Jimbo
Freddy

Re: 1100 clutch slip

Post by Freddy »

Jimbo36uk wrote: swapped the oil for Motul Semi Synth 5000, still slipping....
You didn't say what you'd swapped the Motul 5000 from .... but regardless dump the Motul and use a straight motorcycle suitable mineral oil (no such thing but that's a digression) and see what happens. Motul 5000 will make my 750 D1 (the D1 has stock an upgraded clutch from the C series) with heavier than stock aftermarket springs slip constantly in the higher rev ranges if I gas it really hard e.g. highway overtaking. With other oil choices there is ZERO slippage.
BertyBassett

Re: 1100 clutch slip

Post by BertyBassett »

Don't know if you resolved this issue but I've just put a new clutch in mine. Same mileage as yours. The old clutch wasn't completely dead. But I had used motul semi synthetic and had changed to that approx 500 miles ago. I'm using silkolene now as that was recommended. But if it slips again I'll be going to stick some very cheap plain as I can find oil in her. I'll change oil more regularly then.