What have you done today, Zephyr-wise?

Introduce yourself, share your heroic Zephyr tales, put the world to rights, gossip, etc.
Ivor

Re: What have you done today, Zephyr-wise?

Post by Ivor »

Clutch still seizing on so removed and stripped down the leaver and master cylinder., got a repair kit and new braided hose.
1995 ZR1100A2
Stereordinary

Post by Stereordinary »

Lately it seemed like it was getting harder and harder to start my Zephyr. I’d hit the starter button and I could hear a faint click, but nothing happened. I thought maybe it was a low battery, so I charged it, but still nothing. So today I decided to chase down the problem. I started at the switch itself, opened up the handlebar control unit, and disassembled almost the whole thing. Inside I first found a dead spider, and then shortly after found a live one! So maybe that was the problem, or part of it. But I also noticed that the little copper upside-down-bowl-disc thing that pushes up into the starter switch had a little black spot. So I grabbed some 2000 grit sandpaper and rubbed it clean. Reassembled everything and it worked! Felt pretty good to fix the problem using just my ingenuity, and experience. They don’t cover that in the FSM.
A breeze from the west.
Shedman

Post by Shedman »

Stereordinary wrote:Lately it seemed like it was getting harder and harder to start my Zephyr. I’d hit the starter button and I could hear a faint click, but nothing happened. I thought maybe it was a low battery, so I charged it, but still nothing. So today I decided to chase down the problem. I started at the switch itself, opened up the handlebar control unit, and disassembled almost the whole thing. Inside I first found a dead spider, and then shortly after found a live one! So maybe that was the problem, or part of it. But I also noticed that the little copper upside-down-bowl-disc thing that pushes up into the starter switch had a little black spot. So I grabbed some 2000 grit sandpaper and rubbed it clean. Reassembled everything and it worked! Felt pretty good to fix the problem using just my ingenuity, and experience. They don’t cover that in the FSM.
Hi Stereordinary, isn't it a great feeling when you fix something when you aren't sure what you are doing? I feel great just about every single day :lol:
Stereordinary

Post by Stereordinary »

Today I purchased a few things for my Zephyr, mainly a new front tire, as the one that’s on it isn’t particularly worn, but it’s over five years old. But I also grabbed a few OEM components, including handlebars, right front side reflector, and key blanks.
A breeze from the west.
ZoneAdmin
Site Admin

Post by ZoneAdmin »

I had my 750 C4 MOT’d (this was actually yesterday). I bought this Zephyr on 6th July 2019. Since the previous MOT, in May 2019, the bike has only covered 217 miles. I hope to use it much more over the next 12 months, but may not start until the spring unless we get some nice dry days. Stay safe everybody.
2C97F80C-B8D0-48F5-8478-C7C0C5700B53.jpeg
Regards
Dennis

Current bikes: Zephyr 750 C4, Zephyr 750 C3
-------------------------------------------------------
Previous bikes: Kawasaki Z1000 A2, Kawasaki KH400 A4, Kawasaki KH250 B1
Leon2021

Post by Leon2021 »

First day out on my Zephyr 550
Fantastic day out in Wales
Attachments
3E3F340C-B3B4-4221-B7E7-BF82B941901B.jpeg
ZoneAdmin
Site Admin

Post by ZoneAdmin »

Abergavenny
Abergavenny
My first ride on my C4 this year (Saturday 19th June), to Abergavenny and back. We had been out in the car with the grandchildren to Westonbirt Arboretum and there were lots of bikes out & about, so as soon as we got home I decided it was time…
Regards
Dennis

Shedman

Post by Shedman »

I nickel plated a load of parts in my shed for my Zephyr 750, if I'm lucky I should get to start putting it back together tomorrow. I didn't do the footrests or levers as it doesn't work on alloy unless you spend loads of money on toxic chemicals.
SANY0004 (6).JPG
ZoneAdmin
Site Admin

Post by ZoneAdmin »

Looks great :) What do you need to do this?
Regards
Dennis

Shedman

Post by Shedman »

ZoneAdmin wrote:Looks great :) What do you need to do this?
A large plastic tub, enough white vinegar to fill it, an old battery charger that will do 6 volt, some pure nickel anode from ebay, some titanium wire for suspending the nickel anode in the tank, some bare copper wire to wrap around the outside of the tank to attach the live (red) from the battery charger and the titanium wire holding the anode. I learnt to do this in the Lockdown from YouTube vids, I'll find a link, its pretty easy to do but everything has got to be cleaned on a bench grinder wire wheel. You will also need acid which is easy to obtain, Mortar/Patio cleaner, it is 22% hydrochloric acid and it is cheap as chips. I've done tons of parts for my old Honda's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-PtnwtOR24&t=507s